internal or external filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyBoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
looking to upgrade from a tropiquarium 68 (24*15*12) to a 48"*12*15 tank will either be keeping a community tank or mawallis.
I can get a fluval *04 series external on sale for the same price as a fluval plus internal.
I am looking for help with the filters which to choose and why.
TIA

Hi RobbyBoy,

JMHO... I wouldn't even think twice about it. External canister all the way.

I have 2 Fluval 4plus Internals and a Fluval 304 Canister. I have used them both and the canister is awesome. Now I only use the internals for when I am rearranging the tanks. ( I tend to stir up alot of muck, so I leave one of them in the tank for several hours after the fact to clear out the excess floaties. )

Maybe it's just me but I get water all over the place when I change out the internals. The canister is easy, unplug, disconnect the hoses and take it over to the sink.

The externals have tons of room for filter media, and it all gets tucked away under the tank rather than taking up space inside the tank.

I hope this helps,

thanks only thing that puts me off was a onlinr review that said the externals impeller was fragile and the filter clogs up faster than usual

Mine has been running like clockwork since November, so I only have a 6 month point of reference.

I have never had a clog issue but maybe that depends on the filter media that you use?

The impeller probably isn't the problem, it may be the impeller shaft (which is ceramic) however, HAGEN is pretty good with their warranties and it is user replaceable. I haven't had any problems - "knock on wood".

OK, I'll stay quiet now, so others on this site can share their experiences.

I agree...for that size tank, go with the canister. My old Fluval has been running for several years with no trouble.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom