Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well my calcium lvl was at 230 so i added it to bring it up to 420 thats where it is right now but in a day or 2 it will be low again around 230 is that normal and should i not add anything im new to corals so im not sure

mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What salt mix are you using? What is your PWC schedule?

Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
What are your alkalinity levels? You say they're high... how many dKh or meq/l are they?

Even if you had a stocked to the hilt SPS tank, I just can't see your calcium levels going from 420 to 230 in a matter of days. Just a guess, but if your alkalinity levels are "off the charts" then I'd say that the calcium is precipitating out of your saltwater because of the high alkalinity. When you have very very high alkalinity, the calcium can not stay dissolved in the water. Are you seeing a coating of white "dust" or buildup in your tank?

Sounds like your water parameters are really out of whack. I don't have it handy now, but I've got a link at home to a good article that tells you how to correct calcium/alkalinity problems. Pretty straight-forward article. I'll post a link later today - unless someone beats me to it!

[Edit: Found the article... here it is: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm ]
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Here's the first 6 rules (mine) of sw tanks/
Rule # 1. Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a salt water aquarium
Rule # 2. Don't add anything (supplements/chemicals/minerals)you don't test for first.
Rule # 3. PWC (Partial Water Changes) are your friend, and cure many ills.
Rule # 4. QT EVERYTHING before adding it to your tank (mandarins accepted, corals should be dipped)
Rule # 5. Use only RO or RODI water (either buy it or make it)
Rule # 6. All animal species live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Only feed every other day at most (fish species dependant)

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

sting, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com