iodine testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mason

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have the reef test kit and it does not have a iodine test y is that and do i have to check for that since i keep adding it to my tank.. how do i test for it and what should it be i cant find a test for it at the fish store

I`m just wondering why you add it to the tank? PWC`s will add all the iodine you need to your tank.

i dont know the fish store told me i needed to add it along with calcium and carbonate alkalinity i bought the bottles should i not add the iodide to the tank anymore

Don't add anything IMO. Just do your water changes. Is there something special in your tank that needs more of that stuff?

no nothing special thats what they told me to add for corals i will stop adding it then thank you. n i will do my watr changes i do them evey 2 weeks like clock work. so should i add calcium still and alkalinity?

IMHO, you should never add anything that you can't test for. It leaves to much to guess work. As AD said, PWCs should be plenty to add back any trace elements.

The fish store is just trying to sell you stuff you don't need or they don't know enough to actually advise you. I'd start looking for a new one.

Agree about the iodine... you probably don't need it. But you *may* need the calcium and alkalinity. It all depends on what is in your tank that is using it. If through testing you find that your calcium/alkalinity levels do not stay within acceptable levels (say 380-420ppm calcium and 8-12 dKh alkalinity) in the time between water changes, then you'll need to add cal/alk.

It really all depends on what salt mix you're using, how big the water changes are, and how much coral/coraline algae you have that's using it up.

well i have a very lot of coraline algae and my alkalinity is always off tne charts i nhave done water changes and still its very high i do not know how to bring it down my clcium i check very frequent and add when needed

well my calcium lvl was at 230 so i added it to bring it up to 420 thats where it is right now but in a day or 2 it will be low again around 230 is that normal and should i not add anything im new to corals so im not sure

:eek2:What salt mix are you using? What is your PWC schedule?

What are your alkalinity levels? You say they're high... how many dKh or meq/l are they?

Even if you had a stocked to the hilt SPS tank, I just can't see your calcium levels going from 420 to 230 in a matter of days. Just a guess, but if your alkalinity levels are "off the charts" then I'd say that the calcium is precipitating out of your saltwater because of the high alkalinity. When you have very very high alkalinity, the calcium can not stay dissolved in the water. Are you seeing a coating of white "dust" or buildup in your tank?

Sounds like your water parameters are really out of whack. I don't have it handy now, but I've got a link at home to a good article that tells you how to correct calcium/alkalinity problems. Pretty straight-forward article. I'll post a link later today - unless someone beats me to it! ;)

[Edit: Found the article... here it is: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm ]

Last edited:
Here's the first 6 rules (mine) of sw tanks/
Rule # 1. Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a salt water aquarium
Rule # 2. Don't add anything (supplements/chemicals/minerals)you don't test for first.
Rule # 3. PWC (Partial Water Changes) are your friend, and cure many ills.
Rule # 4. QT EVERYTHING before adding it to your tank (mandarins accepted, corals should be dipped)
Rule # 5. Use only RO or RODI water (either buy it or make it)
Rule # 6. All animal species live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Only feed every other day at most (fish species dependant)

Back
Top Bottom