Iron water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kraydune

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all

Can anyone tell how bad well water with alot of iron it will be on a R/O unit?

I am planning on going to lowe's and getting 2 of thier canister type filters to plumb into the line pre R/O. I use city water because the filter system on the well couldnt remove all the iron.

My city water pressure is super low and I think comming right off of the well pump I can achieve the pressure the R/O unit needs and also not have to pay for all the waste water these units output.

You can buy a TDS meter, and watch to see how long it takes for the output water to start showing climbing TDS. If the membrane doesn't last as long as it's supposed to, then the water is too rough on it.

A TDS meter will not tell you what the dissolved solid is that is getting through, so IMO that is not a good way to determine if there is iron or not.

I have iron in my water and I just have to change out the micron filter more then others do. Does not effect the membrane IMO. It has to go through 2-3 filters before the membranes and the carbons and prefilters remove the iron. I installed a pre pre filter to helps with this issue. I bought a iron test kit at HD to test my water..

Back
Top Bottom