Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #11

The first two are very poorly made and low quality fixtures as well as known to start fires.

The Coralife is better but I say T5 over PC

Check Hellolights.com and you can get better, for cheaper
Old 12-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike469
The first two are very poorly made and low quality fixtures as well as known to start fires.

The Coralife is better but I say T5 over PC

Check Hellolights.com and you can get better, for cheaper
In additions to my trials and tribulations with these lights, I just found out that the bulbs were 25 watts less each than as stated in auction. That was the last straw, I just messaged seller and told them I wanted to return this item after a completely unsatisfactory ebay experience. Stay away from rockymountreef!

Old 12-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Seller wrote this back:

Quote:
The ballast in the fixture overdrives the bulb to achieve 175 watts of power with no problem- you can read the transistor inside powering ballast and it says this directly on it
This sounds like extremely bad news, both in terms of bulb life and fire hazard. Am I crazy here or should I continue to push to return the unit?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearerphish
Seller wrote this back:

Quote:
The ballast in the fixture overdrives the bulb to achieve 175 watts of power with no problem- you can read the transistor inside powering ballast and it says this directly on it
This sounds like extremely bad news, both in terms of bulb life and fire hazard. Am I crazy here or should I continue to push to return the unit?
Sounds illegit to me.

It's like selling a computer that's been overclocked and not mentioning that when rating the speed. Scamming IMO.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:39 PM   #15

I do not know about this situation but, you can overdrive a fixture and it is not always a fire hazard at all.

I have T5's that are overdriven. With T5's, Individual reflectors and overdriven bulbs give the most light. ALOT of reefers run SPS/Clam tanks on overdriven Ice Cap ballasts with T5's.

What fixture did you get?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Hey all,

I started to rething the whole Lighting ideas, and found that most of these lights are 11.5" wide. I have a canopy on top of my 55g tank, and If I were to place a light that was 11.5" wide under there, I would not be able to even access my tank from the top. The only way would be to remove the canopy every time. This is really not an option because it is just far too much work to feed and maintain the tank.

So Does anyone know any other options that I can get power without that kind of width?

Again I can't say for sure what corals I want to keep, But I know i'd like to keep an Anemone, hopefully one my Clowns with host to.

How much light do I really need? 7, 8, 10wpg?

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I bought the 216W version of the Nova Extreme and love it. You could get the 432W and that should give 7.85WPG and would allow you a nice selection.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, tan, watts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com