Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2006, 03:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Is 542 Watts in a 55g Tank Too Much?

Hey All,

I have a 55g Tank, See my info for what my setup is...

Basically, Right now I have just 2 Clown Fish, A few Shrimp, a few Crabs, a few nails, and a watchman goby....

I would Like to keep an Anenomy, Although Right now I am just trying to get all my fish.

Anyway, Back to my Question...

I am looking at buying a light on ebay It has 542 total watts which is:
Metal Halide: 2 x 175W HQI double ended
Fluorescent: 2 x 96W Power Compact

That's almost 10 watts per gal, I am wondering if this is too much?

I hope to have 1 large fish in the tank, but I am not sure which fish right now. I was hoping for a Copper Banded Butterfly, but after 3 of them, the last Having not gotten sick at all, and still dieing... I am giving up on them. I Like a couple of the other butterflys, but all the others say they are not reef safe, so I am not sure what I will choose.

I don't know If bright light bothers fish or inverts at all? That is why I am asking before I buy this light.

Thanks,

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It all depends on what you want to keep that is photosynthetic. What kind of corals interest you? Identify that first and then you can select the appropriate lighting to best meet thier needs.

By the way, 175 watt metal halides are mogul base (screw in) lamps while 150 watts ones come in double ended versions.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree. There is no reason in getting them unless you want to keep high light requiring species. So, what were your plans for the tank? For the most part, no, that is not too much light. But it may be overkill if you aren't planning on high light species.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pro
It all depends on what you want to keep that is photosynthetic. What kind of corals interest you? Identify that first and then you can select the appropriate lighting to best meet thier needs.

By the way, 175 watt metal halides are mogul base (screw in) lamps while 150 watts ones come in double ended versions.
Is screw in Metal halides not as good as double ended? Is there a disadvantage to these?

At this point I don't know what I am going to get. The only thing I know I'd like to get is a Blue Carpet Anenome, or possibly another type.

If having that much light wont hurt or bother anything else, Then i'd like to just buy a light that will be enough for most options I will have to choose from.

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
Old 12-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
Is screw in Metal halides not as good as double ended? Is there a disadvantage to these?
The only issue with screw-in bulbs is from possible corrosion of the threads.
Always coat the threads with a light film of vaseline before screwing them in, and you shouldn't have any problem.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The eBay Listing says its double ended. I don't know if it's a miss print..

-TheChad
Old 12-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #7

MH

The porcelin mogul socket kind are ok, but double ended are better IMO.

CBB's are hit or miss, just like many angels.

Also, try for T5's, they are a little more efficient and longer lasting than PC. Better as far as intensity as well.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

These are the Model's I am looking at:

Jebo Metal Halide / T5 Combo (2x150watt HQI, 2x54watt T5 + Lunar Lights) Total Power = 408 Watts - $420

Odyssea Metal Halide / PC Combo (2x175watt HQI, 2x96watt PC + Lunar Lights) Total Power = 542 Watts - $360

Coralife Aqualight Plus PC (4x96watt PC + Lunar Lights) Total Power = 384 Watts - $465

I really would like to get out the door for under $400, but am willing to go to $500.

So are any of these good? or do any of you have another suggestion?

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 12-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Be wary of the first one. I just completed a transaction almost exactly like that with Rocky Mountain Reef (same seller). The first fixture I ordered was damaged in warehouse and was the only one in stock. They then directed me to an auction for a lesser fixture that still suited my needs, so I bought it. When it arrived, it was not the fixture pictured in the auction and had the T5 and moonlights on the same circuiit. You can read all about it here:

Link

Also that first auction states "2 large clusters of LED moonlights included" which means it isn't the item pictured in the auction either. It's a finbe light at a fine price, but I have to have someone re-wire the fixture to suit my needs. Be wary of this seller. I left positive feedback because it was resolved to my satisfaction, sort of, but were I to know the details of how it would go down, I wouldn't purchase from them again.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Be careful those nails might start rusting!!! LOL

Tags
55 gallon, tan, watts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com