Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Fish R friends, not food!

Valid points. They will guarantee not to break it if I have it checked at a glass shop and verify it's not tempered. I have limited space to put this tank and figured I could be 3-4" closer to the wall with no plumbing coming out of the back of the tank. That is my main reason for wanting to go this direction.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You will need to build an overflow box around the pipes, just like store bought RR tanks. You know this, right? How will you do this? Glass?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Community Moderator

You won't need 3-4" behind the tank... if you do a glass holes kit, you'll need 2-2.5".... and you'd want that anyways. While I agree with Dougs reasoning behind the overflow box on the back, I think a full length overflow box would help a lot with noise...if it bothers you.

FWIW, I'm considering buying a new 40b and putting a corner overflow in it to replace my current tank...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Try sliding a piece of airline tubing down that black tube glass holes overflows provide. Move it up and down until you find the sweet spot.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Fish R friends, not food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You will need to build an overflow box around the pipes, just like store bought RR tanks. You know this, right? How will you do this? Glass?
They do a glass box covered with black plexi. It looks like a store bought RR tank when they are done.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com