Is an air pump necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 125 gallon is going to be equipped with dual Aquaclear 110's. Will the surface agitation from these two filters render an air pump an unnecessary item? They are also quite loud for my taste.

They are nice to have if you have one filter fail or both due to a power outage. Battery powered pumps can save the fish for a while. Also of you have to raise them water temperature for a treatment they can heep o2 in water

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My 125 gallon is going to be equipped with dual Aquaclear 110's. Will the surface agitation from these two filters render an air pump an unnecessary item? They are also quite loud for my taste.
You should not need an air pump. Most tanks, excluding those using sponge filters or UGFs do not need an air pump.

Its nice to keep one on hand for emergency but they are in no way necessary in a tank with a filter to agitate the surface of the water. They are mostly for aesthetic reasons if you like them.

Using Air Pumps

Hello sara...

The air pump is a nonessential. It's of no benefit to the tank. The filter system will do the job of mixing oxygen with the water. Remove the pump and save a bit of electricity.

B

I only use a ai rpump to hatch eggs or with a sponge filter with fry , I only use a filter in my main tanks , even run my sponge filters with power heads except with fry
only time you need to use an air stone in your tank is if the water is very hot (in summer) or if you are treating for illness

Back
Top Bottom