is hagen aqua clear a good filter for salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danhorwich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is hagen aqua clear a good filter for salt water?
On a 56 gallon tank, how many filters can be run?
Can you "over-filter" your tank?

I was recently in the fish lab at the Toronto Zoo, and they us ACs on all their saltwater tanks. "Overfiltering" is a term I hate, as it is misleading, in the way it is used. If you mean having more fish because you have more filtration, it is only partly true. It doesn't matter how many filters you put on a tank, more fish means more water changes, of larger size. While I can't speak to the salt water side of the hobby, filtration in general, produces nitrates, as the final product. Once you have adequate filtration, that reduces ammonia and nitrite to 0, adding more filtration will not improve the situation; you will still have the same amount of nitrate produced, regardless. The argument goes, that more filtration will keep a tank visibly cleaner, but, this again is misleading, as whatever, was in the tank, that is now unseen, is in the filter, so is still part of the tank.
In a nutshell, more filtration will not preclude cleaning the filters less often, or changing less water. That is the fallacy of "overfiltration".

I use aquaclears on 4 of my tanks. Frankly I do not think a HOB filtration system is capable of over filtering.

No filter system is capable of over filtering. Lots of people use overly large filters to filter tanks, thinking, that somehow, the water is "more" filtered, when the reality is that, once you get the ammonia and nitrite to zero, that is as far as you can go. Doesn't matter how many extra filters you put on a tank. The nitrate will still remain the same.

Back
Top Bottom