is making hole in the tank required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nilesh7318

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi, since i have started to make my own tank and also ordered the glass. i had one question , do i get a hole drilled in the aquarium glass for overflow. can anyone clarify and is this useful. is the overflow useful. :)

An overflow is used to take water from your display tank and send it to a sump. An overflow can be either drilled, or a hob overflow box. A drilled overflow is safer because you do not have to worry about the syphon breaking like you do for a hob overflow. But if you do not plan on having a sump then there shouldn't be any reason to drill your aquarium. Hope this answers your question.

If you opt for the HOB type I would recommend make it yourself from PVC. A PVC HOB will cost you about $15 max while a store bought HOB will cost about $40-$80 depending on the size of your tank. I have a PVC HOB on my sons 55g and it has never lost syphon when power has gone out, an it takes up way less room behind the tank than a store bought box type HOB. Just my opinion though...

Back
Top Bottom