Is my canister filter powerful enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonDallas71

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a new tank setup. I got my tank locally, but ordered all the filter items online and they are on their way as I type. It just occurred to me that I may have some power issues. I just got a 37gal tank and ordered a Fluval 205 Canister Filter, Fluval Surface Skimmer, Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer and a Hydor ETH In-Line Heater. From reading various sites, these all seemed like good purchases. The 205 filter seemed like plenty of flow based on the specs, but now I am wondering if the added in-line items inhibit the flow enough to cause problems. Does the water flow through all these items freely or do they need a more powerful filter behind them to maintain enough flow for a 37gal tank? Should I have gone with the bigger 305?

I have never used any of these items before. I have always had cheap tank hanging filters and heaters. This is my first attempt at something more serious. I am actually reading the "Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!" right now in anticipation of receiving all of my equipment next week.

I am also really curious about what kind of hosing/elbows and such I will need to connect all these items, but I decided to wait until they arrive so I know exactly what I am working with before I start asking a lot of those questions.

Hi there, welcome to the forums. :)

I think you made some real solid purchases. The sterilizer is probably a bnit overkill but the in line hearer is a great item that I've been eyeing.

Unfortunatley, in my opinion you will lose some of the flow with those items. The uv sterilizer is really only good if the flow through it is slow so as to kill the bacteria and parasites. Most people run those on SW tank and FW for clarity and on a different pump I believe.

I'm by no means an expert just my opinion. I'm certain others will chime in, this is a great informative site.

Welcome to AA :)

I would have went with the 305, but the 205 should be ok as long as you don't overstock (which you shouldn't regardless). Personally, I wouldn't waste money on a UV steralizer, which has minimal results in FW applications. The inline heater is a good idea, I really wish I had went with one in my 40 breeder.

Hey Rookie while youre here, lol, can you put an inline heater on an fx5? Do they make a inline thats big enough for a 125g?

Don't mean to steal the thread...sorry, but its kinda still on topic :-D

I have a Fluval 204 with a 35 gallon aquarium. I do water changes every week. My aquarium seems sparkling by my standards. I guess you have sufficient filtering. Don't base your conclusion only on my input. I'm not very knowledgeable about aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom