Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is my circulation pump too strong?

This is the first time I have added a circulation pump to my tank. I have a 46 gallon tank with about 40 lbs of live rock, 2 clowns and a blenny. The tank has been running fine for about 3 months now. I want to eventually add coral so I though I should get a pump and bought the Koralia Evolution 750 GPH, which is rated for tanks of 30-50 gallons.

I am not exactly sure what effect its supposed to have on the tank because when I turn it on it looks like a tornado storm in there. It is shooting the air bubbles from my air stone all over the place and its moving sand around as well. It seems like there is little pieces of debris constantly being moved around. Is all this normal? Or is this pump too powerful for my tank?

Also, how many hours per day should I run it? Is it ok if I run it at night from like 1 am to 4 am so its not all cloudy with bubbles during the day when I am trying to enjoy the tank?

edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
why do you have an air stone.just point the powerhead higher until it stops disturbing the sand or point to the surface.Also leave it running 24-7

Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
As David said, remove the airstone. They are useless in a saltwater setup. Just move the Koralia down some and point it towards the surface so it doesn't disturb the sand as much. It should be run 24/7.

I run 4 Koralia 4's at 1200 gph each and 1 Koralia 3 at 850 gph in my 125.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

circulation, circulation pump, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com