Is my circulation pump too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edmond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is the first time I have added a circulation pump to my tank. I have a 46 gallon tank with about 40 lbs of live rock, 2 clowns and a blenny. The tank has been running fine for about 3 months now. I want to eventually add coral so I though I should get a pump and bought the Koralia Evolution 750 GPH, which is rated for tanks of 30-50 gallons.

I am not exactly sure what effect its supposed to have on the tank because when I turn it on it looks like a tornado storm in there. It is shooting the air bubbles from my air stone all over the place and its moving sand around as well. It seems like there is little pieces of debris constantly being moved around. Is all this normal? Or is this pump too powerful for my tank?

Also, how many hours per day should I run it? Is it ok if I run it at night from like 1 am to 4 am so its not all cloudy with bubbles during the day when I am trying to enjoy the tank?

why do you have an air stone.just point the powerhead higher until it stops disturbing the sand or point to the surface.Also leave it running 24-7

As David said, remove the airstone. They are useless in a saltwater setup. Just move the Koralia down some and point it towards the surface so it doesn't disturb the sand as much. It should be run 24/7.

I run 4 Koralia 4's at 1200 gph each and 1 Koralia 3 at 850 gph in my 125.

Back
Top Bottom