Is my lighting ok for corals and clams????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billy302

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
2 55W actinic Compact Flour.
and
2 55W daylight 10000K.

And what is a good lighting Scheme for them??

Thanks!!!!!!

What size tank do you have? I'm sure most people will say no for the anemone, as MH lighting is ALMOST necessary (some argue this) and you can have some clams w/o MH lighting, but only the ones with less lighting requirements.

Jim

What size tank? There is only one kind of clam that can be kept successfully in a low light tank. You'll have to check out which kind. For corals you need 3 to 5wpg or more depending on species. You have 220 watts. Devide that by how many gallons you have. That is your watts per gallon.

By your profile, you have 4watts/gal. That is plenty for a lot of different corals. Clams are up for debate. Stay away from any super-colored clams but there are some species that will do okay under your lighting. Derasa or Squamosa should do okay. Try to get acu-cultured ones.

you could also do rbtas, I have a 55 gallon with a rbta in it for 3 months now and its grown considerably and looks mighty fine, never moves from its spot and the clowns just love it. And remeber watts per gal is only a guideline and a fairly bogus one at that since watts per gallon has nothing to do with intensity, which is what will give a lot of the more difficult corals their color (as well as clams)!

rose bubble tip anemone.
But you don't want to introduce an anemone to your system til it's very stable. Most suggest you wait a year before getting one. Although some anemone's can do well with lower lighting, they are very sensitive to water conditions and changes in the tank.

I'm at 3.5 wpg PCs and had a healthy Deresa clam for about 10 months now. Check my profile for a line-up of corals that might work for you since you have more light than I.

Back
Top Bottom