Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
APK
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is my new filter too big for my tank?

Just got a 2000 External Filter for my 360 litre tank, should I have gone for the smaller one? This states that it is for tanks up to 1000 litres, next one down is for tanks up to 400 L. Please advise me.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Depending on what the actual flow of the filter is, it may or may not be an issue. Many people use much larger filters than recommended by manufacturers, because they are all smarter than the manufacturers. Unless the flow is too extreme in the tank you should have no issues, and have a margin for error.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
There's no such thing I have a Rena XP4 on my 75 gallon tank, and I wish I had two of them.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
APK
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your advice ...well I have set it up now ! It has a very gentle return so all is well. I was picturing a strong gush of return water that might harm my poor fishes. It has a UV light as well so expect to have a fab tank from now.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've got a Fluval 404 on a 29 gallon, and it does produce a decent current up top (I have the outlet in one corner aimed straight down the back of the tank), but the bottom 2/3's of the tank is still fairly calm..... some of my fish, particularly the rummynose tetras, love going up & surfing the current.

I had a 204 on it, and it was able to keep up with the bio-load just fine, but I plan on trying my hand at some plants in the near future, so I wanted the extra power because I know some flow is going to be lost when I run a CO2 reactor inline.

Tags
filter, new filter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com