Is my new filter too big for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

APK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just got a 2000 External Filter for my 360 litre tank, should I have gone for the smaller one? This states that it is for tanks up to 1000 litres, next one down is for tanks up to 400 L. Please advise me.

Depending on what the actual flow of the filter is, it may or may not be an issue. Many people use much larger filters than recommended by manufacturers, because they are all smarter than the manufacturers. Unless the flow is too extreme in the tank you should have no issues, and have a margin for error.

Thanks for your advice ...well I have set it up now ! It has a very gentle return so all is well. I was picturing a strong gush of return water that might harm my poor fishes. It has a UV light as well so expect to have a fab tank from now.

I've got a Fluval 404 on a 29 gallon, and it does produce a decent current up top (I have the outlet in one corner aimed straight down the back of the tank), but the bottom 2/3's of the tank is still fairly calm..... some of my fish, particularly the rummynose tetras, love going up & surfing the current.

I had a 204 on it, and it was able to keep up with the bio-load just fine, but I plan on trying my hand at some plants in the near future, so I wanted the extra power because I know some flow is going to be lost when I run a CO2 reactor inline.

Back
Top Bottom