Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a question. Was the center always bowed or is it just now starting to bow?

Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
I have a question. Was the center always bowed or is it just now starting to bow?
To be honest I'm not sure. I only noticed because the sand in the front of my tank was shifted from the current of my powerheads. That caused the lights to shine through the bottom of the tank and I could see the gap in the front. So it may have been like that the whole time.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Stands aren't that expensive. Better to be safe than sorry I suppose.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I would get a new stand. A glass tank should be supported evenly all the way around the entire perimeter. If it is only touching around the corners, that is a cracked tank waiting to happen.

you can shim small gaps with a Styrofoam underlay, but that is meant for tiny gaps of maybe 1mm or less. Since you gap is 1-2cm, I'd be looking at a new stand.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so what would be the typical procedure for something like this. Im assuming taking all the water/rock out, putting it into a trash can with a power head, then moving the fish into probably a small rubber maid bin, keep the sand where it is, swap the stands, then put everything back? When putting the water back into the tank with the sand, if I mix up the sand in any way, is that bad for the fishes gills? I was thinking about adding some sand at this time, and I know it wouldnt settle right away.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

If you want to do a good job & not rush, it is best to setup a proper holding tank for the fish. I use a 30 gal rubbermaid bin for my redecoration. <That is also my QT/hospital tank.>

I fill the 30 gal with tank water, move the fish over. I put the filter & heater (and some of the decor) in the bin. I ran that for 3 days while I re-did my main tank.

Once you have the fish settled, you don't have to rush in re-doing the main tank. You can swap substrate, move things around, etc. You have time to wait for the tank to settle before moving the fish back. <I have a spare Marineland HOT filter, so I ran that with a water polishing filter for 4-5 hrs to get rid of all the fine sand/ crud floating in the water. If your holding tank is stable, you can afford to wait a day or 2 for your main tank to settle out on its own.>

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com