Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is my stand going to give?

So i've got my 75gal on an Iron stand that came with the aquarium bought off of craigslist. The tank has been on the stand for roughly 3 months filled with water and no issues yet. However I was inspecting it the other day and noticed that the stand is actually bowing inward toward the floor a little bit. Right in the center of the stand where the middle support beam is, it's bowing. The aquarium is not resting on the middle beam at all. It's bowed in probably 2-3cm. Will this cause a problem in the long run?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wouldn't trust it. Even if the metal isn't actually bowing (but was previously bent), you want even support over the entire bottom frame of the tank. Uneven distribution of weight WILL lead to leaks or even broken glass :/

Some folk will put a layer of foam-type insulation underneath the tank to allow some "molding" between the tank and stand. The foam conforms to any dips/bows (to a point) and allows an even distribution of pressure on the bottom of the tank.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

*Sigh* I was afraid someone was going to say that. Im dreading having to move everything OUT of my tank, move it around, get a new stand for it, and put everything back into it again....such a process is not a fun one to do.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

... but much better than mopping water, broken glass and dead fish... Might even be exciting if you can get a good looking stand for the tank. An extreme make over, aquarium edition.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Hmmm. I think it really depends on the tank.

I have a 150 gallon cube, and the inside of my stand at the top is open. I can see the bottom of the tank. The tank is built with a band around the perimeter which all of the weight sits on. Thus, my stand just as a ledge around the outside perimeter for the tank to sit on. When I open my stand, I see the glass bottom of the aquarium.

If your tank is built a similar way, I would be more concerned about weather the side panels of the stand are bowing which is causing the center brace to bow.

Does your tank evenly disperse its weight on the stand, is the bottom of the tank completely flat?
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Hmmm. I think it really depends on the tank.

I have a 150 gallon cube, and the inside of my stand at the top is open. I can see the bottom of the tank. The tank is built with a band around the perimeter which all of the weight sits on. Thus, my stand just as a ledge around the outside perimeter for the tank to sit on. When I open my stand, I see the glass bottom of the aquarium.

If your tank is built a similar way, I would be more concerned about weather the side panels of the stand are bowing which is causing the center brace to bow.

Does your tank evenly disperse its weight on the stand, is the bottom of the tank completely flat?
Mine is built the same way; at first I was really nervous considering the 1200+ pounds of water, but thus far, nothing has happened. *Knocks on Wood*
Old 03-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
The aquarium is not resting on the middle beam at all. It's bowed in probably 2-3cm.
That bottom middle brace isn't there to support any weight. It's there to keep the front and back glass from bowing, just like the center brace on the top. It's probably good it's not touching because if it was bowed up, it could stress the bottom glass and make it crack.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I totally agree with ccCapt...check your edges, that's where the support of your tank is.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any bowing would freak me out. Even if it hasn't done anything yet its like a ticking time bomb. I wouldn't trust it and if your any good with wood you could build a sweet stand. Check the diy section as there was someone who just built a 75 wood stand. Just a thought.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey. Sorry for the late responce guys. My tank isn't flush around the edges. Be ause the stand bows in the middle, the middle of the tank isn't touching anything at all. So all the 4 corners touch just fine. But the middle front and back do not. Still think I need a new stand? I'm about to buy one just to be safe I think...

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com