Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is my sump right?

I have an overflow which has 2 pipes that flow down to 2 sumps that I have below my tank. One of the pipes goes down trickles through a bunch of bio balls into a sump where my protein skimmer is.

The other pipe goes down into a filter sock, hits my phosphate zorb packet, then into a sump where my chaeto is and then flows back up into the tank.

My two sumps are bulkheaded together so the water between the two mixes and meets at the return pump.

Any thoughts/issues to this sump configuration?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The reason I am asking your opinoin on this is I have thousands of little tiny white things floating around. My water is clear, its just with the halides on all these floating particles are very visible. I'm trying to get my tank clear like they have in the fish stores.

My tank is about 3 months old now, so I know its newer, but I want to get rid of these tiny white things but don't know how. My Nitrates etc are perfect, so what am I missing?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It could be micro bubbles. Try dialing down the return pump and see if it helps. Sometimes the skimmer adds bubbles to the water as well. The two just need some adjusting.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is it particulate floaties or micro bubbles?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Is it particulate floaties or micro bubbles?
I *THINK* more particles. Not sure how to tell if its micro bubbles. I really think particles because sometimes in some areas of the glass I will see them.

I'm wondering if I'm over feeding my fish; they get a pinch of flakes in the morning and a cube of frozen food at night. They seem to gobble all of it up pretty fast, so I'm not sure if they're being over fed or not.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you turn off your sump and there are still floaties then I'd go with particulate matter. What type of filter sock(s) are you using? Mesh or felt?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If you turn off your sump and there are still floaties then I'd go with particulate matter. What type of filter sock(s) are you using? Mesh or felt?
Filter sock is felt. I only have 1 in one of my sumps and the other sump flows the water through bio balls then around protein skimmer, where hopefully most of the water passes through then into the return.

How do I get the particulate matter out? Will it work its way out over time? Should I be washing the filter sock weekly?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have to change my filter socks like every 3 days. lol
Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I have to change my filter socks like every 3 days. lol
REALLY??? Even on the 125??? You think I need to be replacing the sock more often?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is the water overflowing over the top of the filter sock? Is the sock looking really clogged or is the water still flowing freely through it?

The 125g is the only tank I have so far with filter socks lol. But my water is pretty clear with no matter floating about. The socks for sure take A LOT of the particulate matter out of the water at least in my system.

Hope that helps....

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com