Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

is Protein skimmer doing its job??

I just set up a 76gal tank oceanic bowfront about three weeks ago and most of my live rock and live sand and sail fin tang came from my 50 gal which had a back pack protein skimmer. My new set up has a a sump and a bigger protein skimmer which is inside the sump, I noticed the protein skimmer (although working) is not creating the foam that the back pack used to create. Is this normal due to the fact that is a new set up and about 60% percent of the water is new. I have no corrals not yet! Still waiting , 1 sail fin tang and six damselfish been in there for about a week they look happy and healthy but I'm concerned that my protein skimmer might not be doing it's job. Parameters are nitrites 0, nitrates 40 ppm. Ph 8.0 Please advise

Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
If the skimmer was new it takes a while for them to break in

Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 It does take some time for a new skimmer to break in. You may also want to check that it is at the correct height in the water as that will make a difference too.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That was it thanx

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com