Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is regular hot glue safe?

I need to reglue a cheap plastic plant to its weighted base. I swear it looks like regular hot glue was used in the original production. This isn't for one of my main tanks...just an old plant to add to my daughters betta tank. It I just use regular hot glue (glue gun) and let it cure and the rinse it, will that be safe? I'm not trying for any major production here. Just don't want to hurt the fish. Thx.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it isn't safe. I do know that lots of people use superglue for fixing various things for their tanks. Like reefers will use it for sticking coral frags to the frag stands, and some planted tank geeks will use it to stick java ferns to wood/rocks.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I glued many plants back to their bases, and put them back in the tank. Never had an issue. I always let them dry completely before returning to the tank.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, hot glue is safe as it's just melted plastic. There aren't any mold inhibitors present.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

WRT superglue...*plain* cyanoacrylate gel is safe for reef and aquarium use. The gel is preferred since it is less viscous and stays put while you are setting the object.

WRT Hot glue, as stated above, make sure it has zero additives, mold inhibitors, etc, and you will be fine. If in doubt, don't use it.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just to piggyback on this glue discussion, does anyone know about CPVC/PVC/ABS cement in the aquarium?

I used Oatey All purpose cleaner/primer and Oatey all purpose cement.

I made up some plumbing for a project and it will have a glued joint in the tank as it sits now. Wanted to check if anyone has had a problem with this before.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post
Just to piggyback on this glue discussion, does anyone know about CPVC/PVC/ABS cement in the aquarium?

Not a problem. Cures very quickly and is aquarium safe according to the manufacturer. Many people dislike this stuff because once you glue it's now permanent. If your project is finalized it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It depends on the grade of plastic and the adhesive characteristics of a given glu stick. I'd go superglue.

J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glue, hot, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com