Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

pics please?

xxwolfpackof1xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwolfpackof1xx View Post
pics please?
I wish, my phone took a powder and no app/pics till Monday (if I'm lucky) .

If you mean the filter, here's what I got: Aquatic products

The really cool stuff to see is what I got at Pet Club after I picked up the filter. Two pieces of African root wood, a really nice chunk of petrified wood and a piece of slate with a purplish hue to it (turned a bit brownish after soaking) .

Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

The media configuration sounds fine to me. I never have run polyfill in mine. I always run the sponges on the side, then all 3 baskets full of ceramic rings. I have one basket full of the prefilter rings, then the top two full of standard biorings (name escapes me.. biomax?).

I will say that the substrat is very hard to clean compared to the rings. I have an eheim with the substrat and it takes considerably longer to clean than my two fluvals. But... its ultimately your choice. My line of thinking is that since only as much bacteria as the bio load will support will be there, there's not much need in spending tons of money on new biomedia when an $11 box of rings will give you all you need.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

ive never seen a canister in person are they like huge bulky thiings or no
Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'll post a picture of the canister under my 40 breeder real quick.. I know Mr Limpet isn't able to take pics ATM....

This is an eheim 2224, tank stand is 3' wide for reference (and this only shows half). It's roughly the same-ish size as your typical canisters, though it may be a tad shorter.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh wow its not nearly as big as i thought
Old 04-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I love the Fluval 05 series. Was the last thing I used before I exited the hobby, and the first thing I used when I got back into it!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
The media configuration sounds fine to me. I never have run polyfill in mine. I always run the sponges on the side, then all 3 baskets full of ceramic rings. I have one basket full of the prefilter rings, then the top two full of standard biorings (name escapes me.. biomax?).

I will say that the substrat is very hard to clean compared to the rings. I have an eheim with the substrat and it takes considerably longer to clean than my two fluvals. But... its ultimately your choice. My line of thinking is that since only as much bacteria as the bio load will support will be there, there's not much need in spending tons of money on new biomedia when an $11 box of rings will give you all you need.
I was considering that point and the amount of bacteria a 29g would sustain, plus the fact that the ESPro has a ton more surface area that the rings that came with the 305. I'm wondering if I may have too much since the filter is good for 75g, but figure the old adage that you can never have too much filtering was appropriate for a GSP tank .

I had the ESPro on hand so figured it was worth a go and I can see your point about cleaning being tougher (more material per Sq. inch), but after a couple times going thru it I'll figure out a system that will make it a bit easier.

The poly-fil is doing a tremendous job of filtering out fine particles in the filtration process just on the one tank I'm testing it with now. I'm planning on adding some to my goldies tank (2 HOB) and see what it does in there. I have to say that the media basket configuration of the 305 is fantastic and really easy to setup and I can't wait to see it in action.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwolfpackof1xx View Post
ive never seen a canister in person are they like huge bulky thiings or no
They're not that big and once the hoses and all are setup, I see this as being a much easier way to deal with filtering my bigger tanks. I'll get pics up on my build tread that this unit is going into this week, as well as the decco I found .

Link to my build: New Tank Build: 29 Gallon GSP Adventure
Old 04-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I work in emeryville! I like the Fluval 305. I was thinking of putting that on my 29.

Tags
29 gallon, canister filter, fluval, fluval 305, gsp, media, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com