Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the Fluval 305 my best choice for a 29g GSP tank?

Getting ready to order a canister filter (my first) and I'm leaning towards the 305. I want tons of filtration because these little guys are messy and to be able to customize the media baskets as I see fit.

Any other cans that you might recommend? Or reviews/comments on the 305 would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Old 04-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I wouldn't say its the best, but it is a very good filter. I have one and love it. That said, a Fluval 305, Rena XP2, or Eheim 2224 would all be sufficient. Realistically, its all going to boil down to the design you like best, as the quality of those 3 are all about the same IMO

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I wouldn't say its the best, but it is a very good filter. I have one and love it. That said, a Fluval 305, Rena XP2, or Eheim 2224 would all be sufficient. Realistically, its all going to boil down to the design you like best, as the quality of those 3 are all about the same IMO
Some of your comments on other threads is the reason I'm leaning towards the 305 . I've read a lot of reviews on it, some with leaking issues but from so many positive reviews that sounds more like operator error more than the filter problems. I'm checking out the others you suggested too.

Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

After looking over a few different canisters, I think the Fluval 305 is the one I want for this tank.

Now I just gotta decide where to get it. Petguys.com has at a good price and seems to have good reviews. Anybody ever order from them? Are they pretty good about. Getting it shipped out, back ordering, etc?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi. I believe amazon has it for 119. At least the last time I checked. i loved my 305, its on my sw tank now and never had an issue with it.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Hi. I believe amazon has it for 119. At least the last time I checked. i loved my 305, its on my sw tank now and never had an issue with it.
Thanks Carey and I've read your take on it in a couple of your threads, getting feedback here really makes a big difference IMO.

Petguys are 115+tax so it's a pretty good price. Just never ordered from them and I looked at amazon and even though this ships free, other things I want to order are going cost me more in shipping than the flat rate at petguys. Go figure :P.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Some of your comments on other threads is the reason I'm leaning towards the 305 . I've read a lot of reviews on it, some with leaking issues but from so many positive reviews that sounds more like operator error more than the filter problems. I'm checking out the others you suggested too.

Thanks again!
I understand. To be honest, I used to hate my eheim simply because it was a different design than my fluvals and the fluvals were my first canisters. Recently, I've discovered that my eheim is quite the filter. But, I do still favor the dsign of the fluval a little bit over the others.

When I got my first canister, which was a fluval 305, it came with a 29g tank. A spraybar is probably a good idea unless you need a little extra flow (not quite sure about gsp's and flow)... so that may be something to keep in mind.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I understand. To be honest, I used to hate my eheim simply because it was a different design than my fluvals and the fluvals were my first canisters. Recently, I've discovered that my eheim is quite the filter. But, I do still favor the dsign of the fluval a little bit over the others.

When I got my first canister, which was a fluval 305, it came with a 29g tank. A spraybar is probably a good idea unless you need a little extra flow (not quite sure about gsp's and flow)... so that may be something to keep in mind.
All 3 you recommended had their strong points and I like the Eheim a lot too. When it came down to it, I like the media setup of the 305's 3 baskets and the sponge/filter segment seperate from the stack better. I'm planning on adding the spray bar for sure and the surface skimmer somewhere down the road. Petguys is located across the bay in Oakland, so could save me some time and shipping cost too .
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like Petguys.com is the place for me to get the 305 along with some good deals on other items and no worry about shipping costs. I can order from them and pickup it at the Pet Club in Emeryville (home of Pixar®) since they work out of the same building. Then I can hit a couple good LFS along the way since they have great plants to select from .
Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got the 305, looks like a great setup going thru all the pieces and parts. I'll have enough carbon to last a couple of years, and a Fluval carpet protector lol. Now I just gotta figure out the best path for the media.

1. Foam pads look like they'll capture some serious detritus.
2. bottom basket will have poly-fil in both compartments
3. Middle tray will house Eheim Substrat Pro in both compartments.
4. Top tray will be split between ESPro and poly-fil. I may replace part/all with an ammonia scrubber after the tank has had a chance to get seasoned.

Does that seem like the correct setup or is there a better arrangement that I should consider?

Tags
29 gallon, canister filter, fluval, fluval 305, gsp, media, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com