Is there any reason to (or not to) add a second filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey P

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now, I have a 40 gallon breeder with 9 fish (and possibly 5 more small fish in the next month or so) and an Aqueon 55/75 HOB filter. For no particular reason I was thinking of adding a canister. My levels are good. In the month or so I've had my tank I've never seen anything spike or had any real reason to think I need help with the filtration (other then maybe to stay ahead of any issues). I know you can't really over filter, but I also figure that at some point you're not really adding anything extra.

So, splurge on a Fluval 205/206 or save the $100?

Right now, I have a 40 gallon breeder with 9 fish (and possibly 5 more small fish in the next month or so) and an Aqueon 55/75 HOB filter. For no particular reason I was thinking of adding a canister. My levels are good. In the month or so I've had my tank I've never seen anything spike or had any real reason to think I need help with the filtration (other then maybe to stay ahead of any issues). I know you can't really over filter, but I also figure that at some point you're not really adding anything extra.

So, splurge on a Fluval 205/206 or save the $100?

In your case, no, there's no need to get a second filter as it sounds like your's is adequate. Second filters come in handy when one is not enough, either by it not being rated high enough, or you have very messy high bio load fish.

That's kinda what I figured. The 206 is about a hundred dollars on Amazon or at brick and mortar stores. I figure if I see it go on a good sale or have a big coupon or something I'll pick it up. Right now the tank is nice and quiet. The loudest thing in there is the airstone which is really just on because I'm treating for Ich and the heat is cranked up. And since every filter (HOB or canister), even within a specific model, seems to get mixed reviews WRT how loud it is, I should probably be happy that mine is quiet (after one small mod) and not risk having a loud tank.

One other reason to have one is redundancy, it would be nice to have a backup in case one breaks at some point. That way I don't have to run out and repair/replace it right that minute. But for now, I'm probably okay.

Back
Top Bottom