Is there something cheaper for 60G tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was assuming it would be alright to just unplug one of the bulbs and leave it out of the fixture all together. Why? Do you think that wouldn't be possible? Ugh oh.... tell me I didnt just force myself to buy a CO2 system! haha.

I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about electrical stuff, but that doesn't sound all that safe to me. Given that there is still electricity running to that part of the fixture, do you think that's a good idea? It's not a rhetorical question or anything, I honestly don't know.:???:

it depends on how the ballast and wiring is set up. it used to be that if one of the bulbs was out the other bulb would not light unless it is 2 separate ballasts. I dont know how that fixture is since i've never owned one. it might still light just one bulb with one removed.
as to the safety of leaving one bulb out and having live ends, as long as you dont touch the ends or stick a wire between them it should be just as safe as a wall outlet.

I'm not terribly worried about having an open socket. I have a glass cover over the tank and the fixture will be on stilts to protect from any potential splash. Though you can bet I'll be staying in the same room as the tank for the first day or two to watch for any funny business.
I'm more worried that it won't run now without both bulbs in. I really cant afford a CO2 system just yet... plus i was looking forward to starting simple and building up with my skill level. Ah well, I'll let you all know tomorrow what happens.

true. But I must confess I swim like a rock! I was just thinking though, it may be sensible for me to find a 48 inch bulb that is in a spectrum that plants Can't use. That way the light will still run with one good T5 and I wont put forcing my plants into hyperactive growth patterns.
Back to the point of this thread though, this sounds like a good light for cheap and I'll post a review tommorow to let you know if its worth it.

Well, I was wrong, the fixture won't run unless both bulbs are plugged in so I'll have to seek out another bulb that is below the 6.7-10k range. First impressions though, the light works great, it fits easily on the tank and doesn't get too warm. I'd recommend it.

You can only run one socket empty if you have an electronic ballast & it has to be wired in parallel. It is prob not worth it to take apart a brand new fixture to do rewiring even if it is possible, so you may as well leave well enough alone.

If you get an actinic bulb for the other side, then you would have only one bulb with light the plants can "see". That would be the easiest solution.

Back
Top Bottom