Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is this a decent offer? please help me

I am thinking of buying this tank to house my three common goldfish

Fluval Roma 240 Designer Aquarium Only

the tank comes with this equipment

The Roma 240 Aquarium and Cabinet by Fluval is equipped with:
Fluval GLO lighting unit,
One Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8
One Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8
Filter Model Fluval 305 External Filter with Filter Media inside, see media product for replacement schedule: Fluval Media Kit 305
Heater, Fluval Mirrored M Series Heater 300watt,

I am only use to my little 13 gallon tank. Will the filter they are providing me with be enough for the tank or will i need a better one, has any one had this filter before is it good? loud? easy to use?.
also could someone explain what the 2 different types of lights are for please.
One last thing i will be putting it on this cabinet im guessing this tank is going to be very heavy would this cabinet be able to take the weight? Thanks for any help

9 Drawer Wide Pine Chest - Hanover - Bedroom - Branches of Bristol

Old 04-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdavies View Post
I am thinking of buying this tank to house my three common goldfish

Fluval Roma 240 Designer Aquarium Only

the tank comes with this equipment

The Roma 240 Aquarium and Cabinet by Fluval is equipped with:
Fluval GLO lighting unit,
One Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8
One Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8
Filter Model Fluval 305 External Filter with Filter Media inside, see media product for replacement schedule: Fluval Media Kit 305
Heater, Fluval Mirrored M Series Heater 300watt,

I am only use to my little 13 gallon tank. Will the filter they are providing me with be enough for the tank or will i need a better one, has any one had this filter before is it good? loud? easy to use?.
also could someone explain what the 2 different types of lights are for please.
One last thing i will be putting it on this cabinet im guessing this tank is going to be very heavy would this cabinet be able to take the weight? Thanks for any help

9 Drawer Wide Pine Chest - Hanover - Bedroom - Branches of Bristol
Tank and lighting Look good. I have that same 305 filter and it's great, lots of flow and it allows for a wide range or media configurations in it. I don't know about the heater, but I'm a big fan of the Aqueon Pro series.

As for the cabinet, you're asking it to hold close to 600 pounds of weight. I'd be very leery of using anything that isn't designed to hold that kind of load and there's no way to reinforce that one. It says solid pine, which is better than particle board, but pine is a soft wood with limited weight bearing capacity. With a cabinet like that, I'd look for something made of hardwoods or that can be modified to support the 600lbs without question. But that just the engineer in me and I like things to stay where I put them :P.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thank you. i would buy one with a cabinet but i dont like the designs my original tank is on my draws so i still need a them to keep my clothes in. do you know if you can buy special drawers that hold fish tanks
Old 04-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

here is the picture of the aquarium with the cabinet Fluval Roma 240 Aquarium and Cabinet surely that chest of drawers is sturdier than the ply wood they use for the cabinet
Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdavies
here is the picture of the aquarium with the cabinet Fluval Roma 240 Aquarium and Cabinet surely that chest of drawers is sturdier than the ply wood they use for the cabinet
Hehe. That cabinet isn't something I'd trust either. Don't forget you're going to have that canister filter to house, so you might want to do a bit more looking around.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what is your set up like?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a 55g setup on a IKEA tv stand. I was leery at first but it's holding up really nicely. It also has a brace leg in the middle so I think that's why mine is so sturdy. Plus it looks FABULOUS! lol I wanna keep the stand after i sell off the 55.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdavies View Post
what is your set up like?
One other thing to consider with that chest of drawers is that the compression the tank will be putting on the frame, could cause the drawers to stick and possibly not open. Hard to say until it's in place, but maybe look for something that has an open space in the middle where some braces can be added plus hold your 305 and drawers on the sides for your clothes.

I have my 37g tall on a hardwood cabinet that was built to hold a tank (army tank that is lol), so it's really stable. I rebuilt a rickety stand for my GSP tank and my build thread shows everything I did. I expect it could hold twice it's rate weight after I got done with it. I got a 20g stand for my daughters (20g) fry tank and the design is pretty good for store bought, plus I got it for $5 at my neighbors moving sale .

Carey's TV stand is a good choice since they're built to hold the same weight bering unit, although a TV doesn't create the same load.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks guys. is the filter load because its in my bedroom?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com