Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Skimmer before Fuge. Reason being you want skimmer to get as much organics as possible before the algae picks up the rest. This is most efficient use of your resources IMO.
ok... that makes sense... will redraw tomorrow...

Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

4th try... Comments?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make the last chamber a little bigger because that is where you'll get evaporation from the whole system. Maybe it's a lot bigger than what I'm seeing from your drawing.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Make the last chamber a little bigger because that is where you'll get evaporation from the whole system. Maybe it's a lot bigger than what I'm seeing from your drawing.
Yeah, the drawings are not to scale yet, just working on concept first, then into the details. I am estimating the last section will probably be 4-5 (maybe 6) inches long, 12 inches wide and about 10 inches high unless that idea is flawed like some of the others I had. I can change the fuge section to add or subtract as needed.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size is your sump going to be?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
What size is your sump going to be?
The tank is 20 gallon size, 24x12x16 dimensions. It was already drilled for the outflow, so no options there with a submersible pump. It came with a pump that works (I tested it in the sink . Wife was NOT impressed). I got a skimmer for Christmas (Reef Octopus NW-110-6520B), so that is the one I will be using (Supposed to be a top-notch skimmer).

According to the water marks on the unit, water depth for the skimmer needs to be 11-15 inches, so I have a vague idea of the size of the first baffle after the skimmer. I'm figuring at about 12 so I will have some room in case the pump quits.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Bubble trap before the return, not before the refugium.
15" sounds a bit deep for the octo. I would have the height closer to 10". check with the manufacturer on that, but I think 10" is about right.
I would have also went a bit larger on the skimmer. Manufacturers loosely rate their skimmers, and every system is different. I always suggest a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Bubble trap before the return, not before the refugium.
15" sounds a bit deep for the octo. I would have the height closer to 10". check with the manufacturer on that, but I think 10" is about right.
I would have also went a bit larger on the skimmer. Manufacturers loosely rate their skimmers, and every system is different. I always suggest a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume.
Ok... Drawing #5 in the works... bubble trap AFTER fuge...

I thought 15" was too deep for the tank (it's 16 inches high and I know I want room in case the pump stops working. However the low water mark on the unit is at 11" measured from the bottom. Thats why I was looking at 12". The accompanying paperwork said NOTHING about this subject. I have sent an email to the company, but have not received an answer.

The skimmer was a Christmas gift from my wife to kick-start this project. If I had made the choice I probably would have chosen differently but it was a gift and not using this one, at least temporarily, would not be in my best interests.

So, I'm doing what I can with what I have. I can always upgrade.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
LOL...cool.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Design #5

Here we go again.... With dimensions this time assuming 1/4" plexiglas baffles and 1" spacing between baffles in the bubble trap...

Tags
design, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com