Is this a good sump design?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good. With the rocks under the intake, you will quickly get a buildup of mulm. Every once in a while, clean them with aquarium water.

Looking good. With the rocks under the intake, you will quickly get a buildup of mulm. Every once in a while, clean them with aquarium water.

I'm will most likely put a sock over the mouth of the pipe going in if I can find one the right size. I know its added work to clean it, but hopefully it will cut down on the buildup.

What is mulm?

From www.theaquariumwiki.com:

Mulm (also called detritus) is the organic debris that builds up in and on the aquarium substrate.
Mulm is usually the unattractive dark brown or black material that settles on the substrate of a tank. It is caused by the waste material ejected by the aquarium animals and left over food and decomposing plants.

(I had to look it up too)

I'm will most likely put a sock over the mouth of the pipe going in if I can find one the right size. I know its added work to clean it, but hopefully it will cut down on the buildup.

You'll get mulm even if you have a filter sock, although it will take long for the buildup. The smaller the micron size of the sock, the less you'll get mulm but more often you have to change out the sock. Vice versa.

It shouldn't matter too much though. Good to give the rocks some washing every 3-4 months, depending on the micron size.

Back
Top Bottom