Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Question Is this a good sump design?????

As many know, I am working on putting together my 90-gallon tank. I got the stand finished today with some help from my son (still recuperating from the ladder fall). I am trying to design my sump setup and something occurred to me that I wanted to run past the experts here on the forum.

My design is having the water from the tank running through walls of eggcrate with bioballs between them into the skimmer section then out to the pump. The tank is already drilled for the external pump, so thats a definate. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this, tried it, and what their thoughts would be.

Here is a pic I made with MS Paint to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

EDIT: This diagram has been changed. New diagrams are on post #8.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Coiuld I get a moderator to move this to the DIY section? Im getting views but no replies.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I don't like bioballs in my saltwater tanks. I have my skimmer in the first chamber then macro algae and then the pump. I do it that way because that is the way the lady I got my setup from said it works best.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're not going to get the full benefit from the bioballs in that setup. They're suppose to be in a trickle formation.

I like some kind of filter sock at the inflow. Are all the red line eggcrate? You get a bubble trap in there.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
Personally I don't like bioballs in my saltwater tanks. I have my skimmer in the first chamber then macro algae and then the pump. I do it that way because that is the way the lady I got my setup from said it works best.
I'm not a fan of them either, but thats just because I dont like the way they look. This is my first salt tank and I am exploring options and taking ideas at this point. What are you using as macro algae?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
You're not going to get the full benefit from the bioballs in that setup. They're suppose to be in a trickle formation.

I like some kind of filter sock at the inflow. Are all the red line eggcrate? You get a bubble trap in there.
I was thinking about a sock too, but wasnt sure if it would interfere with the other filtering. All the red is supposed to be eggcrate and my theory was that it would keep all the water in the sump at the same level. That removes the guesswork from the level needed for the skimmer?

What if I replaced the bioballs with live rock rubble? better? Worse?
I thought trapping bubbles was good? Would the material not stop them?

Or am I totally off base here and this is a stupid idea? If so, tell me. I wont be offended, I just want to do this right.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure you could put some rocks in there. It takes out some nitrates, which is a plus. The sock will help decrease the amount of mulm that builds up on the rock over time. IMO socks are the best mechanical filter. Eggcrate wont be a good bubble trapper. Better to use glass or acrylic.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Ok... back to the drawing board.... thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Redesign

I took everyones advice and have redrawn the sump. Comments are welcome.

I am now showing an input with live rock rubble and a filter sock, a sand bed with macroalgae, skimmer, bubble trap and return. This is the top and side views:
Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a couple of different macro chaetomorpha and feather Caulerpa.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skimmer before Fuge. Reason being you want skimmer to get as much organics as possible before the algae picks up the rest. This is most efficient use of your resources IMO.

Tags
design, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com