Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adina
its an aqua-tech 5-15 filter. still dont have any fish so its a clean filter. but i did notice once i lift the blue carbon filter up the water doesnt overflow. so maby its not letting the water flow through the blue filter? like its too think or something. one day ill probably replace the filter but i would rather not have to anytime too soon. if its flowing out of both sides is the water even getting properly filtered?
Ohh, that's happened to me with a brand new carbon filter cartridge too, the carbon, if to big doesn't let water flow through fast enough. It's basically the same thing as if it was full of gunk. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hmm. so i could probably just replace the carbon filter and it should be fine? do you think i should try to rinse it out under some water and maybe that will move some carbon around? (i haven't started cycling yet so there's no worry about losing any beneficial bacteria) if i should just replace the filter what do you suggest i replace it with? just another carbon filter?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
hmm. so i could probably just replace the carbon filter and it should be fine? do you think i should try to rinse it out under some water and maybe that will move some carbon around? (i haven't started cycling yet so there's no worry about losing any beneficial bacteria) if i should just replace the filter what do you suggest i replace it with? just another carbon filter?
The carbon is pretty much useless anyway I don't run it in any of my tanks I would throw out the carbon and put a bag of bio max instead or ceramic rings they won't slow the flow down any and are much more beneficial
Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Look for an aqua clear box of bio max or ceramic rings one for an aqua clear 20 should fit your filter
Old 11-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can also cut an "x" in the pad and remove some or all of the carbon. Carbon only last for a few weeks, and you can use the same cartridge until it falls apart, just rinse it in tank water to clean when doing a water change.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a tetra whisper filter that did this straight out of the box, brand new. It was horrible. I have two aqua-tech HOB filters that came with my 5 gallon tanks and they do NOT do this. I have since learned that these are both made by tetra (basically the same design). I guess it is hit or miss, and you could always contact the manufacturer, but from now on I am sticking with Hagan filters.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah you could do what others have suggested.

I'd remove that and add in a sponge & biomax. Maybe some poly-fill.

Good thing you haven't started cycling, I like you researched the problem ! Since when you remove the carbon cartridge it flows freely it is not a filter defect.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #18

So this product would be a good replacement?
AquaClear BioMax Filter Insert - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart
Are they in a bag so their not loose?
For now I'll try to cut an "X" and take out the carbon and see if that helps any. But probably wont start cycling until I get the new filter media though.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
So this product would be a good replacement?
AquaClear BioMax Filter Insert - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart
Are they in a bag so their not loose?
For now I'll try to cut an "X" and take out the carbon and see if that helps any. But probably wont start cycling until I get the new filter media though.
That's tge stuff
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #20

tge?
and also should i replace the white filter? nothing is wrong with it and it allows the water to flow through but would i need a filter that would filter out finer particles? (i will also be getting a pre-filter to put over the intake because i plan on getting some cherry shrimp)

Tags
filter, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com