Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Is this normal for a hob filter?

I noticed today that my hob filter is also pouring water out of the right side (the side where the intake is). its not coming out of the intake(or the hole it goes into), just overflow from the back of the box, but its constant. is this ok for water to be coming out of both sides?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This happens to me when the filter pads are clogged/gunk is built up and not enough water can get out so it overflows and exits through the other side, maybe you can give them a rinse in tank water?

Although from the picture it doesn't look they're dirty.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

No, this isnt normal. Fortunately the filter is molded so it channels the water back to the tank instead of the floor.

As stated above, this usually happens when the filters are clogged. I dont see any discoloration on either pad, so I assume either the filter pads or the whole assembly is new.

I would check the housing that holds the impeller and make sure it is fully seated. This filter looks like the one I have on my shrimp tank. If it is, you can remove the intake tube, then pull the entire housing the tube was connected to straight up and out of the housing. (Be careful not to break the impeller) The impeller should come up with it.

Make sure there is no gunk or anything from the factory (sytrofoam bits, plastic residue, etc.) in the channel that feeds to the filters, then reseat the housing and make sure it goes all the way down. The shaft of the impeller has a rubber piece on the end that seats into a small holder at the bottom of the filter housing and another at the top where it contacts the housing. If the impeller is not aligned correctly it could cause the housing not to seat properly and the water would not be fully channeled where it should be.

That SHOULD take care of your issue. If not, something is blocking the water from going to the filter pads and you will need to find the culprit and remove it.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Thank you I will try this when I get home tonight and post the results. The entire unit is brand new so it's not a mater of dirty filters. Hopefully it's just something easily fixable like you said.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adina
Thank you I will try this when I get home tonight and post the results. The entire unit is brand new so it's not a mater of dirty filters. Hopefully it's just something easily fixable like you said.
If this is an aqua tech filter every single one I had did this I had about 7 in total brand new and they all did this
Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have one to, running it as a spare. I finally got tired of it overflowing out the other side and only using the one filter cartridge. The course sponge isn't very good and seemed to block the flow.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a filter just like that and it runs fine, no problems. The overflowing like that isn't normal though. My other hob filter did that. It usually means its clogged or something.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces11
I have a filter just like that and it runs fine, no problems. The overflowing like that isn't normal though. My other hob filter did that. It usually means its clogged or something.
All mine overflowed out of the box so they were not clogged
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle
All mine overflowed out of the box so they were not clogged
That's odd. I only had this issue with my old hob filter. It used to never do it unless it was clogged, bit then it did it all the time and I just replaced it with an AC filter today and it also works fine. My aquatech filter doesn't overflow either.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #10

its an aqua-tech 5-15 filter. still dont have any fish so its a clean filter. but i did notice once i lift the blue carbon filter up the water doesnt overflow. so maby its not letting the water flow through the blue filter? like its too think or something. one day ill probably replace the filter but i would rather not have to anytime too soon. if its flowing out of both sides is the water even getting properly filtered?

Tags
filter, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com