Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-23-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
is this true?

I agree. I can recommend the Penguin Bio Wheel Mini as a good filter for that size tank. With the bio wheel, you don't disturb the biofilter much when you change cartridges.

i was reading an old post in this section and i found this one...since i have an eclipse corner 5 tank...instructions say u must replace the filter every 2-4 weeks...the thing is u have to throw the old one and replace it with a brand new one...its just a rectangular box with some blue pad and activated charcoal at the bottom...im not planning to change it now because im cycling the tank...but when the time comes i wanna know what to do....thanks!

29gal FW Planted
8 harlequin rasboras
7 neon tetras
4 lovely ottos
2 lady platies

5gal FW

La vida es un tango, las solitarias mesetas en mi lejana patagonia y un mate con amigos.....
patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
To be honest you do not really need to change filters nearly as often as the manufacturers say. Either simply remove the pad and rinse it thorughly in tank water, or remove rinse thoroughly and replace drying the old pad and then reusing. You should be able to tell fairly easily if your filters performance is lacking so there is no real need to replace it until then. JMO but it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

redwhiptailplec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
you only really need to replace it when it gets raggy and super nasty, unless you want or need fresh carbon regularly. or you could just try to replace the carbon without throwing out the whole pad. i know on whisper filters you can do this, but not penguin (one reason i'm not their #1 fan).
Fish are friends, not food

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
agreed. that filter material is covered in beneficial bacteria for your nitrogen cycle. every time you toss it out, you lose a chunk of your bacteria. In a very heavily stocked tank, that could cause a little ammonia to appear for a short time, as the new filter media gets colonized.

This is one reason I recommend Aqua Clear filters...because yo udon't have a cartridge, but a larger foam block, which will last more than a year before needing replacement.

But essentially, no matter what HOB filter you have, just rinse off the filter media in the tank water you drained during a water change, and keep using it. If the cartridge has carbon inside, I would cut open the corner after using it for a week, and remove/replace the carbon. Carbon is only 'active' for 7 days, then its just idle. if its a really poor grade of carbon, it could actually start to decay and leech phosphates back into your tank, which could cause algae problems.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com