Is X-Ray film safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, this one might take someone who knows a little something about X-Ray film.

I was planning to use some strips of blank, developed X-Ray film to block light as part of a filtration system I am building for a 125 Reef. This is for a Turf-Algae Scrubber. You don't need to know what that is, all you need to know is that it helps to block light from part of the system to prevent clogging due to algae growth where you don't want it.

My hands smell like film negative after handling this x-ray film, and now I'm wondering if it is safe to use. It would be in contact with the tank water. Is there some way to rinse it enough where it would be OK?

An additional note - I hadn't rinsed the film. I just did that (washed it with Dawn) and the smell is pretty much gone. I will probably let is soak overnight in RO water just to make sure, but I think it's ok now. Still would like any comments from anyone familiar with the film development process and how safe/not safe this idea would be.

You just need some thin plastic, right? just use something like the dividers you put in a note book. let me know how the scrubber turns out. I am going to do the same or the biopelets in a reactor.

Couldn't you just paint the parts you don't want illuminated? Either that, or get some plastic from the craft shop? I wouldn't trust putting any film in my tank. Too many chemicals for my liking.

Water is actually running over the part that needs to be blocked, so it's not anything that can be painted. I am ditching the x-ray film idea and will be stopping by a craft store to see what they have. Thanks mdaniel2882 and BigJim - I don't know why I didn't think of that. Overthinking things is sometimes a downside of being an engineer!!

FYI, I will be posting the build to the thread I run for this system...will link to it when I get that post up.

What about Krylon Fusion, I heard that is safe for aquarium use.

The light needs to be blocked at the top of this screen, where it inserts into the pipe. I was going to put some black acrylic on the inside of the housing, but the light from the reflectors would still get to that area, so blocking it by adding some opaque plastic at the screen is really the only way to make it work right.

img_1165517_0_59d7811e807c1a66c0b34d84df5bb4cb.jpg

img_1165517_1_849dedb9103e7d2486d8add01b7f99b8.jpg

Perfect

I found the perfect thing. I went to a hobby store, and they had this

img_1165552_0_9b4e035e751821371d6b96512ba5e6d8.jpg

it's a little thicker than I hoped, but it it exactly what I needed and it only cost $2.

Back
Top Bottom