Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Issues with building a tank into a wall?

I have been considering removing some windows that used to be exterior windows but now only separate the kitchen from the family room and enhancing my current 75 Gal reef /30 Gal sump setup to become a 125 or larger main tank and use the 75 Gal as the sump/ref.

Wondering if anyone here has built a stand like this into a wall and what unforeseen issues they ran into. The weight of the tank would be on both a concrete pad that used to be a porch and a wall that would remain intact. I think that should withstand the weight of 200+ total gallons.

Cost would be the new tank, possibly more or new lights, new/larger protein skimmer, and the cost of building the stand and sump enclosure plus making the outside of it look nice. The window opening is over 6' wide so I could fit a huge tank in that area and would be able to view from two sides.

Positives would be more room in the sump area, current set up has no room to really get in there plus the additional water space for current fish (my tang needs more growing room).

Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you. Received a link to even larger tanks...wow, this project could get really expensive.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I believe Ziggy is in the process of building an inwall tank, I bet he will be along soon...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I didn't do the wall thing. I've got a 155 with a canopy. When I think of an in-wall set-up, with a painted back wall, I think I'd have a hard time with maintenance.

I can't see what I'm doing when reaching and viewing from the top. I need to reach from the top and see thru/view from the front to see where my hand or tongs are. I couldn't imagine seeing from the rear for sure either with the paint.

Anyway, I've just always wondered how folks see what they're doing in the tank when only able to service it from above or from the rear. Maybe a closed circuit camera on the front while you're in the back (behind that wall) working from the top?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

The unit I have in mind would require me to build a bottom cabinet for the sump/ref tank which I would make sure there was plenty of room to access as that is my biggest complaint with the current setup. With my 75 gallon I cannot access from the rear as it is against the wall, however with the unit I have in mind I would have access from front and back through the top of the tank and able to view from front and back while accessing from that side.

Finding the right tank may be difficult as I would want the overflows on one side (or both) instead of either front or back. The opening the windows are in that would be used is over 6' wide and about 4' high so assuming a 24" tall tank is used I would have 2" above the tank to hang lighting fixtures and access the tank with little to no carpentry to that part.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

tank in wall

check this out, I'll try a pic, then explain when i have more time.[img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontdone_124.jpg (80.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg front_of_tank_819.jpg (79.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg all3_125.jpg (84.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg front_of_tank_234.jpg (79.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

more later
Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Duke, do you have a sump under the tank or in a room below? Any problems you ran into while doing it?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey Kurt, No problems really, I redid the header above the tank and beefed up the posts to3x3's. That's a 55g fw. I'm in the process of removing it and replacing it with a 300g. For that I'm going underneath and putting a 6x6 beam with three footers and posts. The things gonna weigh over 3000lbs!! As far as the sump goes I have enough room under the tank for another 55. I using a fluval 304. All you see in my tank is 1 intake tube,and 1 pretty blue sub. heater.

Tags
build, building, tan, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com