Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd75826 View Post
check ebay, you can find a knock-off chinese brand very cheap, and maybe cheap shipping to where you are.

Did you take the plastic shroud off the heater body and check the body for debris or calcifications? A sensor may be clogged. You have a really good heater, I hope you can get it to work.
No I didn't take anything of because it's brand new. This morning it shows finally 81F but with blinking LF. I will try an air stone today and see if that does the trick.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71 View Post
No I didn't take anything of because it's brand new. This morning it shows finally 81F but with blinking LF. I will try an air stone today and see if that does the trick.
I wouldn't buy a pump or airstone, or even run one(if you already have one) just for this. A circulation pump is what you really need. A know they are expensive but it will also help the water get filtered properly. Mine broke recently and I could see the difference in the water clarity within a few days.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I wouldn't buy a pump or airstone, or even run one(if you already have one) just for this. A circulation pump is what you really need. A know they are expensive but it will also help the water get filtered properly. Mine broke recently and I could see the difference in the water clarity within a few days.
Circulation pump makes totally sense. Thank you Ian and hello to beautiful Ireland. I am a huge Fan of your Country
Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thumbs up

It's strange but I don't get the LF anymore and that since hours. I unplugged it this morning for my weekly wc and that's it.
Problem solved

I think I made a mistake by setting it up. It says one is supposed to put the heater for 20 min into the water before plugging it in. I missed that one
Maybe that was the reason.

Do you guys think I can remove the old 150 Watt heater now which I have still in there safety wise?
LED on new heater shows consistently 81/82 F which is my desired temperature.

nonetheless I will invest into a circulation pump. It makes sense in such a big tank.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It's strange but I don't get the LF anymore and that since hours. I unplugged it this morning for my weekly wc and that's it. Problem solved I think I made a mistake by setting it up. It says one is supposed to put the heater for 20 min into the water before plugging it in. I missed that one Maybe that was the reason. Do you guys think I can remove the old 150 Watt heater now which I have still in there safety wise? LED on new heater shows consistently 81/82 F which is my desired temperature. nonetheless I will invest into a circulation pump. It makes sense in such a big tank.
if just put the 150 away as a back up, no need in using the electricity.. With a sand bed in that size tank.. A circulation fan would be a good thing for sure, position it to flow over the sand and keep crud from settling! Ps.. Turtle! You're doing great! Happy to know all is going well
Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Circulation pump makes totally sense. Thank you Ian and hello to beautiful Ireland. I am a huge Fan of your Country
Thank You Turtle for your kind words. I am a big fan of your country too. I believe it too is a beautiful place and maybe one day I will make it there!!.
As regards the heater, I am delighted the problem is solved. A circulation pump will still be a great addition. I agree with brookster, remove the 150w and keep it as a back up. You have a solid, very reliable heater in the Fluval. I have never had an issue with it(nearly 5yrs later), touch wood. Just don't forget to turn it off 20 mins before you do your WC. I forgot one time but 'got away' with it. I believe it has an auto shut off for such cases but still best not to chance it
Old 03-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Happy to early. This morning the fluval heater was down to 78F with blinking LF. noooooooooooooo
So I put the old heater back in to fire up the temp.
What the hack is going on? Does my new heater have a defect or something?

Throw some brands for circulation and air pumps at me. Stuff that you can recommend and that is quiet.
I guess I have to go shopping because this issue is starting to bother me.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It's strange but I don't get the LF anymore and that since hours. I unplugged it this morning for my weekly wc and that's it.
Problem solved

I think I made a mistake by setting it up. It says one is supposed to put the heater for 20 min into the water before plugging it in. I missed that one
Maybe that was the reason.

Do you guys think I can remove the old 150 Watt heater now which I have still in there safety wise?
LED on new heater shows consistently 81/82 F which is my desired temperature.

nonetheless I will invest into a circulation pump. It makes sense in such a big tank.
Depends how much you love your fish and your trust that heater.. If it fails again would you want your back up in the tank? Do you also have a thermometer in the tank or are you just using what your heater says? I'm not familiar with your heater so It might have a thermometer built in somehow.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Happy to early. This morning the fluval heater was down to 78F with blinking LF. noooooooooooooo
So I put the old heater back in to fire up the temp.
What the hack is going on? Does my new heater have a defect or something?

Throw some brands for circulation and air pumps at me. Stuff that you can recommend and that is quiet.
I guess I have to go shopping because this issue is starting to bother me.
You could bring it back and change it for another(same model) but you will need that circulation pump either way, especially for a tank that size....
Have a read of this, it should help.....
Good circulation pump for 75 gallon planted
Old 03-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is interesting. I have an ehiem jšger for my 75. I use to run my sponges off powerheads and the one side was always warmer then the other. I now just use an air pump in them and it's even on both side. I also have my ehiem 2213 also.

Tags
ate, eat, eater, fluval, heat, heater, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com