issues with Fluval Heater E300

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could bring it back and change it for another(same model) but you will need that circulation pump either way, especially for a tank that size....
Have a read of this, it should help.....
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/good-circulation-pump-for-75-gallon-planted-272090.html
The most weird thing about it is that I don't get the LF message anymore, when the second heater is in the water. How is that possible? What does the other heater have to do with water flow? I am truly confused.

Hydor Koralia Nano 240

Ian do I understand it right, that I would need two of those for 75gal? And that bigger ones are just to strong?

Ian do I understand it right, that I would need two of those for 75gal? And that bigger ones are just to strong?
No, your fine with one. They are rated for 100g. Do you have an old internal filter??. You could pop that in, with NO media and leave it for a day or two. If you get no LF flashing, then we know the problem. Is there anyway you can place the heater in the flow of your filter. That could solve the problem too.....
PS....I have the E200 in my 55g.

No, your fine with one. They are rated for 100g. Do you have an old internal filter??. You could pop that in, with NO media and leave it for a day or two. If you get no LF flashing, then we know the problem. Is there anyway you can place the heater in the flow of your filter. That could solve the problem too.....
PS....I have the E200 in my 55g.
I have two marineland emperor filter. The only cacheable movement might be on the other side across from it. I can try that :brows:

I have two marineland emperor filter. The only cacheable movement might be on the other side across from it. I can try that :brows:
It works:dance: I have the heater now in the left front corner across one of the filters. No more LF.
But there is still one thing about this heater I don't understand. I have it set for 81F. During the day it keeps the Temp nicely in the green zone 80, 81, 82F
In the morning it's blue and at 79 or 78F.
Shouldn't this heater keep the water in the green zone?

After some research on the Company side I found something interesting.
They wrote to try the following to adjust the temp. :

The E Heater is very visual, and is showing you in detail what is happening in the tank. You are seeing changes that you would not likely see with a heater that simply has an on/off indicator light.

Your E heater may have needed to be reset, to do this turn off the heater and re-position the heater on a 45 degree angle, then turn on the heater and turn down the temp as low as it will go, 18 degree’s, then turn up the heater as high as it will go, 34 degree’s, after this set the heater to the desired temp and leave at a 45 degree angle.

You may find it helps if the heater is positioned on a 45 degree angle to disperse the heat .The heater is so sensitive, it may read the water temp inside the heater guard if positioned vertically and if the water circulation around the heater is compromised in any way.

I tried that and since then I have no problems anymore. I have it hanging in a 45 degree angle now on the right side close to the front.
No more LF and no more blue.
Fingers crossed that it will be the same tomorrow morning :)

After some research on the Company side I found something interesting.
They wrote to try the following to adjust the temp. :

The E Heater is very visual, and is showing you in detail what is happening in the tank. You are seeing changes that you would not likely see with a heater that simply has an on/off indicator light.

Your E heater may have needed to be reset, to do this turn off the heater and re-position the heater on a 45 degree angle, then turn on the heater and turn down the temp as low as it will go, 18 degree’s, then turn up the heater as high as it will go, 34 degree’s, after this set the heater to the desired temp and leave at a 45 degree angle.

You may find it helps if the heater is positioned on a 45 degree angle to disperse the heat .The heater is so sensitive, it may read the water temp inside the heater guard if positioned vertically and if the water circulation around the heater is compromised in any way.

I tried that and since then I have no problems anymore. I have it hanging in a 45 degree angle now on the right side close to the front.
No more LF and no more blue.
Fingers crossed that it will be the same tomorrow morning :)
Why didn't I think of that :banghead: Mine is at 45 degrees!!

Ah well. At least we got there in the end...haha
I just don't get it. Yesterday everything was fine all day long.
This morning LED blue 77F. What the hell?
Why is this thing not heating during the night?
I'm done with it. Bringing it back and get a cheaper one. What a piece of...:nono:

Maybe your house is colder a night making your room temp lower. Your heater is really dependent on your room temp not just size of tank and wattage.for instance if you want your tank at 30c and your room temp is at 18. Then you will need a bigger heater then if your room temp was 25c.

Hey turtle! The temp in my 29 goes down a degree at night and I have a 150 watt heater in it. Maybe return the fancy one and get another 200 to go with your 150 you have?

Hey turtle! The temp in my 29 goes down a degree at night and I have a 150 watt heater in it. Maybe return the fancy one and get another 200 to go with your 150 you have?
I think that's what I gonna do. I am not leaving on the heater for the house on high during the night for the tank heater :rolleyes: where is there the energy saving in this?
I will do the reset thing now one more time and if this turns out the same then this thing gotta go.
The thing is just that I don't know if I grabbed a lemon?! When there is a degree difference during night I can live with that but 4? I go to bed and it's green and at the desired 81F. I get up and it's 77F blue. Of course I turn the house heater lower during nighttime but it's not freezing in here. I don't get it.

Wish I hadn't recommended fluval now turtle I'm sorry. They are normally a very reliable brand, sounds like you have a very fancy model. Maybe something more basic but with a temperature control knob would be good.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wish I hadn't recommended fluval now turtle I'm sorry. They are normally a very reliable brand, sounds like you have a very fancy model. Maybe something more basic but with a temperature control knob would be good.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I liked this heater in the store when I first put my eye on it a couple of weeks ago. I just had no idea how fancy and difficult it is to work with. I'm tired of fishing around in the tank adjusting, resetting, angle this and angle that. My fish is rolling their eyes at me like: what is she doing now again?:blink:
A normal heater with knob and a in water thermometer will do better. For me anyways.

If it were me I'd just get another Fluval. Even the best made equipment will have defects from time to time, more so these days due to poor quality control to save $$. The E series are one of the best heaters on the market currently. Besides, you are now an expert in how they work!

If you are set on getting a cheaper more basic heater look at Eheim Jager. I have a 150w and it works well, they are quite big when compared to other heaters though.

If it were me I'd just get another Fluval. Even the best made equipment will have defects from time to time, more so these days due to poor quality control to save $$. The E series are one of the best heaters on the market currently. Besides, you are now an expert in how they work!

If you are set on getting a cheaper more basic heater look at Eheim Jager. I have a 150w and it works well, they are quite big when compared to other heaters though.
The Eheim Jager 150w is my old one and I was very happy with it. It was just to small for my 75gal that's why I tried the big fluval which was by the way again at blue 77F this morning. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom