Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your thinking about the penguins capacity, emperors include extra media baskets, and you don't have to use their cartridges, they sell DIY cartridges, you fill it with floss or whatever you want like peat or something and it's reusable, the 400 can use 6, and hold i think 2 media baskets. So your getting the same media capacity with superior biological filtration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
The Bio-wheel itself is a superior form of biological filtration since it uses atmospheric oxygen which is MANY, MANY, MANY times more concentrated than what is in the water. In addition it actively adds oxygen to the water column, it doesn't take oxygen from it the way any submerged biomedia will.

I do not agree that Emperors have as much media capacity as AquaClears. They use slide in cartridges and even if you removed those and did a DIY media setup in there I don't think you could match an AC. Layout the media on an AC110 and then layout the media from a fully loaded Emperor 400 and the AC110 has more. A LOT more mechanical, A LOT more carbon (if you use it) and still room for A LOT of biomedia. The Emperor has a slide-in cartridge like every other filter out there, with built-in carbon (what if you don't want to use carbon?), and second slide-in tray for carbon, extra biomedia, crushed coral if you want to up the pH/KH, but that tray holds about half a cup (if that). The AquaClear can hold a cup of biomedia and still has room for a cup of carbon, crushed coral, peat granules, whatever you want to use.

The best thing would be an AC110 with a DIY add-on biowheel.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #12

I know exactly what the differences are, I have had and sold both. I do not think that if you laid out the media from an Emperor 400 and an AquaClear 110 you would have the same amount.

Again, I think the best is an AC110 with a DIY Bio-wheel added on.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

The emperors have additional media baskets and reusable customizable media cartridges, so they hold the same amount of media. But the biological filtration is superior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
I know exactly what the differences are, I have had and sold both. I do not think that if you laid out the media from an Emperor 400 and an AquaClear 110 you would have the same amount.

Again, I think the best is an AC110 with a DIY Bio-wheel added on.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #14

Please read the following carefully: I KNOW.

Remember this from my original post: "and second slide-in tray for carbon, extra biomedia, crushed coral if you want to up the pH/KH, but that tray holds about half a cup (if that)."

Yet again, I have had Emperors (both sizes). I know they can hold two cartridges on each side (4 total), or one cartridge and one of their all plastic slide-in media containers on each side. Lay out two Emperor cartridges AND two of their pick-your-own-media cartridges AND the Biowheels and it will not add up to the Foam, big bag of carbon, and big bag of biomedia from an AC110.

Do you have an AquaClear 110?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #15

whats important is, what kinda fish ur housing.

big messy fish, u will need a bio load filter.
AC filter aint bio filter, but with a DIY u can easy turn it into a bio filter.
in a tank u dont need carbon at all unless u wanna remove medc u use.

i myself use aquaon filter with cut open carbon med, i will cut it open and toss all the carbon out. save it for later use. toss some floss into the med bio load. or take everything out and just toss in floss into the filter.

i use 2 aquaon 10 to filter up a 55 gallon with no problem. from Black dark water(mud water) to super crystal clear water in 3 days the most.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #16

Thanks for the continuing assistance, guys...

I didn't mean for this topic to begin a debacle of which filters are more superior than others, but that's what inevitably ends up happening on some forums...

Perhaps we should get back to the core of what I intended with the launch of the thread -- I would be looking for new filtration (preferably HOB format) to replace my Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and 20 which I'm running now on my 60-gallon freshwater fancytail goldfish tank, as the Aqueons have not given me clear water since the day I started them up...

Another issue that's becoming an infuential factor right now is the possibility of losing my three Orandas, and the tank crashing as one of them has gotten was appears to be Ich -- and which I am treating with medicine -- and the others are routinely acting not like themselves because my [moderator edit] water is just so polluted...so there is a possibility that I lose this entire bio setup, and would need to start over. That said, I would still like to know what the best option would be for the simplest approach to filtration for a 60-gallon goldfish tank as I don't think I will keep my Aqeons if I need to restart this tank. I don't think these filters are doing anything, quite frankly; the last poster mentioned taking only three or so days for his tank to get crystal clear -- I'm running Aqueons now for over a month and there hasn't been any clear water.

So, are AquaClears definitely recommended? And what about the Marinelands? What's the concensus on them? Should either of these offer better filtration sequencing than the Aqueons?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I don't think you're going to get a consensus between aquaclears and emperors, but both are MUCH better than aqueon filters. I had an aqueon filter and gated it. As for ich, I would have tried heat+salt before meds, but since you've started already, it's better to continue with the meds. Water changes(with gravel vac) will help reduce ich, and probably help clear your water. Good luck!

--Adeeb
Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #18

Gold fish r messy fish. They will poop all around the place. Super clean water is a must need for goldfish.

Back to the.topic. I can't help u much on marinlands filter. Never own one but I do own some of marineland cheaper filter call aqua something from walmart. Those filter r made by marinelands and those work great also. Only think is those filter ain't super bio load filter like the bio wheel one. And it do filter water faster than any other filter I use.

As for the aqueclear I only own one which is the 20 the smallest one. It came with one of my tank I bought this yr. It was Used filter, the old owner of the filter have been using it since last yr n till now it still run good n keep my water clean.

I don't think its the filter. For a gold fish tank 60 gallon I would used 2 aqueon 55.

For the price of a ac110 I think I would just go with a small canst filter.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeebm View Post
I don't think you're going to get a consensus between aquaclears and emperors, but both are MUCH better than aqueon filters. I had an aqueon filter and gated it. As for ich, I would have tried heat+salt before meds, but since you've started already, it's better to continue with the meds. Water changes(with gravel vac) will help reduce ich, and probably help clear your water. Good luck!

--Adeeb
Thank you, Adeeb.

I had indeed tried the salt first, added 30 teaspoons to the tank (aquarium salt) and now I'm doing the medicine too.

I would like to discuss a few things with you here, as you seem passionate/knowledgeable about them...first, why do you feel the way you do about Aqueons being very inferior to AquaClears and Marinelands? I know you mentioned you hated them, but is there a reason? I am just curious, as I am beginning to feel this way...

Also, with regard to water changes, is this okay to do while I am medicating the tank? Could you possibly walk me through the schedule I should keep as well as the gravel vac procedure? How much water should I be changing daily?

Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic View Post
Gold fish r messy fish. They will poop all around the place. Super clean water is a must need for goldfish.
I realize this -- that's why I am desperately trying to get the water clear, which it hasn't been in a month...

Quote:
Back to the.topic. I can't help u much on marinlands filter. Never own one but I do own some of marineland cheaper filter call aqua something from walmart. Those filter r made by marinelands and those work great also. Only think is those filter ain't super bio load filter like the bio wheel one. And it do filter water faster than any other filter I use.

As for the aqueclear I only own one which is the 20 the smallest one. It came with one of my tank I bought this yr. It was Used filter, the old owner of the filter have been using it since last yr n till now it still run good n keep my water clean.
I'm using a 20 WITH a 55 on my 60 gallon...

Quote:
I don't think its the filter. For a gold fish tank 60 gallon I would used 2 aqueon 55.
So, do you suggest me returning the 20 and paying the difference for another 55, or just getting new filters altogether?

Quote:
For the price of a ac110 I think I would just go with a small canst filter.
A local PetSmart had the AquaClear 110...but it didn't seem that expensive; would one 110 be all I need if I go the AquaClear route?

Tags
aqueon, hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com