It May Be Replacement Time for my Aqueons...What's a Highly Regarded HOB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i had an aqueon 20 filter, it had nice turn over and was really quiet, but the bio screen was pathetically small.

I still think you should get a emporer, because of the biological filtration. Sure you could add a DIY biowheel, but it wouldn't be as effective as using it in a emporer. While the aquaclear may have more room to hold media, that doesn't necessarily mean it provides better mechanical/chemical filtration. The emporer comes with plenty of media space, as for people saying the cartridges are just 1/2inch of filter floss and carbon in the middle, the emperors have custom cartridges, which you add whatever media/floss/etc you want in it, and reuse them. And it contains media baskets. IMO getting excellent biological filtration and great mechanical/chemical filtration is better than getting superior biological/mechanical filtration and horrible biological filtration. And marineland makes primarily 2 HOBs, penguin and emporer. The penguins are cheaper versions of the emperors. The emporers have a spraybar while the penguins do not, the penguins don't have customizable media cartridges and media baskets, the emporer does, and lots of other stuff. It's up to you what you get, your money, I just believe emporers are better than aquaclears in your situation.

Yes, Emperors are made by Marineland.

No, the wheel-less knock offs at Wal-Mare are not made by Marineland.

The same company make aqua-tech is the same company that makes marineland.

both filter = use same filter media, use same STRAINER, everything is the same. even the design is the same.

only thing is, the aqua-tech doesnt come with a bio wheel.
and the emperors does. but the aqua-tech has more gph and cost less

EMPEROR 280 FILTER 280 GPH = $60 after tax $61-$62 depends where u live.

EMPEROR 400 FILTER 400 GPH = $80 after tax $81-$82 depends where u live.

Aqua-Tech 20-40 160 gph. = $25 after tax $26-$27

Aqua-Tech 30-60 filter 330 GPH = $35 after tax $36-$37

so 2 Aqua-Teach 30-60 = $70 thats 660 gph compare to one EMPEROR 400. with less the price. throw in another 20 dollar and u got urself 2 Aqua-Tech 30-60 with bio wheel and it will work just like a EMPEROR 400.

2 for the price of 1 thats pretty much it.

not only that if u dont wanna DIY bio wheel what u can do is take the media out and buy a media bag n fill it up with bio balls. yes the smaller bio ball do fit the back of a Aqua-Tech 30-60.

IMO getting excellent biological filtration and great mechanical/chemical filtration is better than getting superior biological/mechanical filtration and horrible biological filtration.
i think you messed up on this one. again just also your opinion. never had a single problem with lack of bio filtration in the ac filters. the water ripples also add a ton of o2 into the water for the hobs.

Mark:
Again, do you have an AquaClear? We can all see that you love Emperors, but without letting us know your experience with AquaClears it makes it harder for us to trust your comparison between the two. It is like me saying Honda is better than Chevy but never having owned, driven, or worked on a Chevy.

Black:
Just because the design is the similar (and it is not the same as you have pointed out by the filters not being the same) they are are not made by the same company. Obviously Aqua-Tech changed the design enough (by not using a wheel) to get around copyrights. Note the lack of the word Marineland anywhere on the package. That is like saying that Whisper makes Top Fin filters.

I had an AC70 and a Penguin 350 on my tank. I ended up taking off the penguin, because although it has superior biological filtration, you can't match 6 inches of foam and filter floss :p Also, the biowheeld are significantly more noisy than ACs, especially when the water level drops. They are both great filters in different regards, but if you only have the money for one, I would go with an aquaclears, especially since your problem is cloudy water. You cab leave your aqueon 55 on with the AC for a few weeks and the bacteria will transfer over.

As for meds, I think they recommend not changing the water because it removes the meds as well, but I may be wrong. Also, be sure to remove any carbon from your filters, as the carbon will filter out the meds, rendering them useless.

--Adeeb

I had an AC70 and a Penguin 350 on my tank. I ended up taking off the penguin, because although it has superior biological filtration, you can't match 6 inches of foam and filter floss :p Also, the biowheeld are significantly more noisy than ACs, especially when the water level drops. They are both great filters in different regards, but if you only have the money for one, I would go with an aquaclears, especially since your problem is cloudy water. You cab leave your aqueon 55 on with the AC for a few weeks and the bacteria will transfer over.

As for meds, I think they recommend not changing the water because it removes the meds as well, but I may be wrong. Also, be sure to remove any carbon from your filters, as the carbon will filter out the meds, rendering them useless.

--Adeeb

Thanks Adeeb.

Unfortunately, I didn't remove the carbon from my filter; is it still too late to do so?

As for the AquaClears, do you recommend a 70 or 110 to run with my Aqueon 55?

No, it's not too late to remove the carbon. I would remove it now, do a water change with a gravel vac, and dose the meds again. What meds are you using? Malachite green is usually the most effective, you'll know it's working because it usually gives the water a green tint.

I would get the 110, because it's bigger, and because the 70 might be pushing it on a 60gal tank. Buy and extra box of the filter foam, and replace the carbon that comes with the filter with foam. Save the carbon though, you'll need it once you're done with the meds.

--Adeeb

No, it's not too late to remove the carbon. I would remove it now, do a water change with a gravel vac, and dose the meds again. What meds are you using? Malachite green is usually the most effective, you'll know it's working because it usually gives the water a green tint.

I would get the 110, because it's bigger, and because the 70 might be pushing it on a 60gal tank. Buy and extra box of the filter foam, and replace the carbon that comes with the filter with foam. Save the carbon though, you'll need it once you're done with the meds.

--Adeeb

This is what I'm being told in a thread on the other side of the forum, though, about dosing with meds:

and yes stop all the chemicals... just raise the temp to 90 and leave it there for 10 days... thats all you need to do... the life cycle of ich involves it falling off fish then reinfecting them... at 90 degrees when it falls off the fish its too hot for it to live.. the parasite actually explodes and dies... leaving it at 90 degrees for 10 days will ensure that all of the parasites explode and die... imo its the best and safest method... i tried chemicals the first time too to no avail... raised the temp and all was well

Definitely do the AC110.

Different people have different methods of dealing with illnesses. I prefer meds, Quick Cure and lots of it. Others prefer to go as natural as possible and will up the temp and maybe add some salt. Obviously success can be found with both methods otherwise people wouldn't keep suggesting them, hopefully. What method you prefer is up to you.

Definitely do the AC110.

Okay. Along with my Aqueon 55?

Different people have different methods of dealing with illnesses. I prefer meds, Quick Cure and lots of it. Others prefer to go as natural as possible and will up the temp and maybe add some salt. Obviously success can be found with both methods otherwise people wouldn't keep suggesting them, hopefully. What method you prefer is up to you.

Well, I understand this, but at this point, I'm unclear if it's just something that would be "up to me;" I don't really know the route to take. I am just beginning to think I have over-medicated this tank to the point that the water is polluted, the filter cartridges are shot and smell and the possibility that the fish at this point are choking on all the crap floating in that water -- is it possible I will have any luck doing a massive water change and vacumming the gravel to get rid of the excess waste and food, plus raising the temperature of the water?

Yes, keep the Aqueon 55 running and add an AC110.

I already gave you my recommendation, Quick Cure and lots of it. That is what I would do if any of my fish had ich. Other people prefer no meds and to up the temp and let it runs its course. This will usually work just as well but I prefer meds.

Back
Top Bottom