Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #1

It May Be Replacement Time for my Aqueons...What's a Highly Regarded HOB?

My 60-gallon absolutely refuses to become clear, despite the fact that it's in the midst of a delayed cycle, and I am becoming annoyed and frustrated with the two Aqueon filters that are currently running on it...I don't think these are filtering squat, to not beat around the bush about it, and I may be considering swapping these for something better.

Aside from the AquaClears, which get a ton of great feedback about by enthusiasts in the hobby, who else makes a respected, really good HOB model that would provide clean, fresh water (assuming all parameters are followed and are okay, of course)? What would be recommended in terms of power filters? Are the Marineland ones good, with the biowheels? What about the Tetra Whispers?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i only use AquaClears. i have 10-15 of them and would only use them. have you tried putting some floss in the aqueons to help polish the water? are you also sure its not a bacteria bloom?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer20o0 View Post
i only use AquaClears. i have 10-15 of them and would only use them. have you tried putting some floss in the aqueons to help polish the water? are you also sure its not a bacteria bloom?
Hi Gamer,

Thanks for the quick response! It sounds like you are very happy with the AquaClears; I figured they were the most popular amongst enthusiasts...why would you only use them? Can you elaborate a bit for me in terms of what makes them so great?

As for floss, no I have not tried it, but the thing is I wanted to use Seachem's Purigen to polish the water, yet I was told to wait until I am done using the Stability to cycle the tank...

With regard to bacteria bloom, it could very well be -- it's a fairly new tank, and this is the first batch of fish...but it seemed strange that it is still cloudy after a month or so...
Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

well they are great at running non stop for years. not only are they power horses they have one of the largest options for media. you can run just about anything media wise. bio media sponges floss chemical anything you need its possible.

have you read the thread here on cycling?
Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer20o0 View Post
well they are great at running non stop for years. not only are they power horses they have one of the largest options for media. you can run just about anything media wise. bio media sponges floss chemical anything you need its possible.

have you read the thread here on cycling?
I am going to re-read the cycling thread.

As for AquaClears, do they boast any benefits for keeping water clear and pristine? This seems to be the major issue in my tank that simply won't go away...
Old 10-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Marineland bio wheels provide superior biological filtration compared to aquaclears. However aquaclears seem to be favored because of there large media capacity. Emporer HOBs provide the same amount of media space and media types, however penguins do not. I'd go with an emporer, or a better aquaclear, if you want a penguin, go for it but they specialize in biological filtration and their media capacity is very limited, emporers provide the same amount of media space as aquaclears, while providing superior biological filtration, and perhaps more media capacity because you have to fill it up with bioballs, which are nothing compared to bio wheels. That's just opionan, it's up to you, but considering you've already tried aquaclears the best thing would be emperors.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
I am going to re-read the cycling thread.

As for AquaClears, do they boast any benefits for keeping water clear and pristine? This seems to be the major issue in my tank that simply won't go away...
depends on what you use in there.... like i said if its something in the water floss will help. if its bacteria you will have to wait it out.

Quote:
considering you've already tried aquaclears the best thing would be emperors.
looks like they have Aqueons and looking for other brands.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input, guys.

And yes, we are running Aqueons now -- not AquaClears -- so I wanted opinions on other filters because these seem to be filtering nothing.

So, what's the concensus? Are Marineland filters better than AquaClears? Any other brands I should be looking at?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA123 View Post
Marineland bio wheels provide superior biological filtration compared to aquaclears.
Care to explain how?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #10

The Bio-wheel itself is a superior form of biological filtration since it uses atmospheric oxygen which is MANY, MANY, MANY times more concentrated than what is in the water. In addition it actively adds oxygen to the water column, it doesn't take oxygen from it the way any submerged biomedia will.

I do not agree that Emperors have as much media capacity as AquaClears. They use slide in cartridges and even if you removed those and did a DIY media setup in there I don't think you could match an AC. Layout the media on an AC110 and then layout the media from a fully loaded Emperor 400 and the AC110 has more. A LOT more mechanical, A LOT more carbon (if you use it) and still room for A LOT of biomedia. The Emperor has a slide-in cartridge like every other filter out there, with built-in carbon (what if you don't want to use carbon?), and second slide-in tray for carbon, extra biomedia, crushed coral if you want to up the pH/KH, but that tray holds about half a cup (if that). The AquaClear can hold a cup of biomedia and still has room for a cup of carbon, crushed coral, peat granules, whatever you want to use.

The best thing would be an AC110 with a DIY add-on biowheel.

Tags
aqueon, hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com