Its a toss up between filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am SO lost.
This is what I am trying to choose between

Magnum 350
Fluval MSF 404 Filter 340 GPH
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter
Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister Filter

They all look good to me. HELP!!!

Magnum 350
Fluval MSF 404 Filter 340 GPH
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter
Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister Filter

hmmm all cansiters. I would go for the one with the best water flow and consumer rating. I dont use those type of filters though ;)

Well, I just covered my eyes and I went with the cascade 1000. Please someone tell me I didn't make a mistake.

I just posted yesterday night about a problem I had with the pen plax cascade 80 (filter died), but it was a H.O.B. not a canister. I didn't like it much... but it was smaller, as I said, and not a canister.

Meredith, you will not be sorry. I have one and have had it since Thanksgiving and it is an excellent filtration unit. It's quiet (can't hear it at all) and very easy to maintain. Congrats! I wish more people on here would discuss teh Cascade's but from what I've heard, they are a newer brand. It's funny because we only own Cascade's and Penguine's.

One thing I was going to point out about the Magnum filters is that, unless they are used with a Bio Wheel attachment, they have very little biological capacity. If used with Bio Wheels, they're good filters. I've heard good things about the Cascade canisters as well although I have no personal experience with them. Let us know how it turns out?

whew. Thanks Fishyfanatic. That is just what I was looking for. I should get it some time next week I think. I ordered it online.

I'm suprised that more people don't have the Cascade brand. Around here all they sell is the Cascade, Penguine, and every once in a great while you'll come across a Magnum. Last week we made a big order from Big Al's for supplies for the 150 and instead of opting for a different canister than the Cascade, we ordered the 1500 because of our experiences with the 1000. Right now I can hear the 5 and 10 gal filters running (they are downstairs) but never can you hear that Cascade. I've never personally done the maintenance on it, but my fiance does and he says that it comes with idiot proof instructions. He bought it last Thanksgiving during the Day after Thanksgiving sale at the lfs and the size and complexity of it scared me to death that I didn't want to even touch it (compared to the hob's that I'm used to). But watching him work with it, it looks simple. He says it's very easy. Let me know how you like it!

the problem with my HOB filters is there noise, i have the penguin with a bio-wheel, and another that is exactly the same w/o the biowheel. unless the water level is right up to the edge of the filters they are very noisy(they are in my room, ive learned to sleep through them).but i dont keep the water level up because they double as a good aerator.

At one point I had a magnum and a fluval simultaneously. The magnum was better for charcoal and putting fine particle filtration in, the fluval was easier to open and maintain, with better quick-disconnects. This was five years ago. When my magnum died, I went with fluval because of the previous good experience. I now have three of the fluval 404's and can economize on replacement stuff. The lfs's around here push the eheim, but I believe it is because the profits are higher with them. They also ask $180 for a fluval 404, which is absurd since it is $89 online.

Let us know how the cascade works out.

I know what you mean Tom. We got our Cascade 1000 from the lfs for $120 and that's AFTER the 20% off discount. I just ordered a bigger one from Big Al's and it was only $90. Just goes to show, sometimes it's better to order online.

One of our fish stores is selling the H.O.T. Magnum for $140, can you believe that?!

Back
Top Bottom