Its here!!! its here!!! *a tough little cookie*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Cascade 1000 canister filter is here!! I opened it up, and it doesn't look too complicated. I havent started putting it together yet, but I noticed there is an option for a spray bar, or a directional spout. Which is better? I need some surface agitation, but the hatchets get pushed around if its too strong. I am SO excited!!! :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi:

Congrats Meredith! We just installed a 1200 on our 150 in addition to the 1000. We started off using the spray bar but ended up taking it off and just using the other attachment. The spray bar was just in the way. Do you have any Maxi-jets in your tank? That will definately move around the water.

New toys = good :)

I've been testing my water params every night for the last three nights since getting a new Hagen Master Test Kit. And the wife has cleaned the front of the tank for the first time in a couple years since I got a Magna Float too. If I knew she was going to clean the tank I'd have bought one a long time ago. :)

Make sure you write a review for the canister, ok? I'm always looking for opinions. :)

How do you write reviews? I would love to write one on our Cascade's but don't know where to go.

Fishyfanatic said:
How do you write reviews? I would love to write one on our Cascade's but don't know where to go.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviewpost/
just go there, find the product, follow the links for reviews and Post a Reply, if the product is not listed, there is a little link toward the top of the page that says "Upload a Product"...just click that and follow the prompts...

i think that would be how... :?

I rinsed out the whole thing. It came with media, I put it all together and its too tall for my stand :( Oh well, I am going to put it on the side for now. I hope I have it all together right. Anyway, it says to press the primer thing 4 times, wait one minute and the chamber is supposed to fill with water. UHHHH, nope. So what do I do now?

keep pressing the primer, or fill it with water, press the primer, and turn it on. Fluvals have a self primer, it was easier to fill it with water at the sink,press the primer a few times, and turn it on. When you see water flowing inot the canister, you have used the primer enough.

We didn't have problems with the first canister, but the second one we did (with water filling). We just took the top off, filled it with tank water and turned it on. You shouldn't have that problem when you do maintenance on it though. From what I'm told, it's just the initial setup that you will have difficulty. How's it working so far for ya?

BTW- how tall is your stand that the Canister won't fit under it?

Well, I got it all figured out it works great. But WOW is it powerful. I first had the spray bar on, and it scared the hatchets, so I put the other thing on, and the out flow is huge. Is it ok to turn the flow down?

I don't know how to turn it down but if you can, by all means, turn it down. We let the outflow spray in the center of the tank towards the front. This way it wasn't too powerful on the fish. Then again, the cichlid's don't mind.

The directional spout thingy I have on there now sticks way above the water line and makes a very loud waterfall. I have it in the corner and I put suction cups on in to sort of bend it down so its in the water. To reduce the flow, I turned the intake valve to about half open. Hopefully this wont cause any problems. I am thinking I should have gotten the smaller filter. Oh well. We shall see how things look in the morning :D

Just remember, you can never over filter. :D The hoses can be shortened or lengthened to accomidate lowering it. You may have to purchase an extension piece to get it to go lower in the water.

i used the spray bar on my rena which is on a small 20gal right now. I placed the bar about 1 -1/2" below the water level and pointed the outflow up slightly. It gets good surface agitation bit it also helps slow the outflow because it can't really shoot right out of the water. I was really worried that my little adf would go crazy with the flow rate but I see him out more now than ever. He actually goes and sits right on top of the spray bar and watches the tank. It's pretty funny cause all the rainbows will try and get close to him but as soon as they get close the current pushes them back, I think the frog is acutally teasing and taunting the fish... ...it's about time he got too have some fun at their expense. Good luck and do write the review... ...I almost ended up buying a cascade so I'd like to know what you think,

I reduce the flow by shutting the intake valve to about half open. And I pointed the outflow to push the water along the length of the tank in the back, instead of pointed towards the front.
I must say this filter seems like its made to last. I took the whole thing apart today, (I was looking to see if my new shrimp may have been sucked up, it wasn't) and as I was putting it back together, I knocked the top part with the motor and all the workings off the counter. I attempted to break the fall with my leg, but instead I just kicked it across the kitchen floor. :? And does it still work? YES it does :multi: Still quiet, still smooth. I am very satisfied with this filter. :D

I say, I've heard the term "GI Proof" when the government makes new weapons etc...
Now we have "Meredith Proof" :lol: :wink: for aquarium product standards!
I'm happy that your happy and your thread has me looking into one as a canister canidate for my planned 125gal tank.

turn the intake valve down a little this will slow the flow, if you turn the return down
it will build pressure. I have a 1500 andI just used it attached to a gravel cleaner
worked like a champ. best filter I have ever used so far

ChileRelleno said:
Now we have "Meredith Proof" :lol: :wink: for aquarium product standards!
LOL! I do have a bad habit of breaking things. Its really saying something if the things I buy last more than a year. :lol: So far I am very happy with my filter. I will be posting a review very soon.

Redsoxfan said:
I have a 1500 andI just used it attached to a gravel cleaner
worked like a champ. best filter I have ever used so far

I think I might like to try that. you just attached the gravel vac to the intake?

Back
Top Bottom