Iwaki wmd 40rlt pump strong enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynotcars

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I have a few questions. I have a 220 gal reef tank. The sump, refugium, skimmer & UV ALL have their own submersible pumps. I want to eliminate koralias and build a closed loop system that will run 3 or 4 revolving sprinkler heads ( got idea from another site). Tonight I ordered an Iwaki wmd 40 rlt. I went with that one because everything I read said get a high pressure pump for closed loop. Now, after I've ordered it I'm wondering if it's strong enough to move my water and heads to create enough movement? The pump will need to lift water 3 feet up to get to closed loop pipe. Also, what ARE the differences between an Iwaki with American Motor Japanese motor?? Is one supposedly better than the other? The pump says max head is 21.3 feet but the flow RATE is 750GPH. The wmd 40rltx says it is a circulation pump and my circulation is already covered. This is strictly for a closed loop water movement system to replace powerheads (Koralias). Any experience or advice greatly appreciated! I did try the revolving sprinkler head idea on a small submersible rio with a flow rate of 695 gph and the head rotates and flows but like pi--ing in the wind current.

no. it's not enough. you should look for something about 5000gph or more. especially if you have sps. i used a reeflo barracuda on a closed loop on my 195, which was a 5' tank, and i still needed multiple power heads.

not my question

Thanks, but my question is not if it'll be enough current (flow) I know that it won't. My question IS: Is Iwaki 40 strong enough to run a closed loop with three or four outlets. And is the japanese motor better then American Motor or Vice Versa or are they both the same.

Thanks

i did answer the first part of your question i believe. if you are asking if you will be able to feel it at all, then my answer would be barely.
"strong enough to run a closed loop" would indicate to me that you want to know if the pump is sufficient. you can use any pump to "run" a closed loop, but what output are you trying to achieve?

i never owned an iwaki 40 so i can't comment on the motors with more than hearsay, but i heard the japanese motors were better.

thanks, WHAT pump will do this please?

OK, so here is what I'm shooting for. I am building closed loop for CURRENT movement only. Water must travel 6 to 7 feet from in stand to over tank into a closed hoop with outlets on all four corners. A SCWD 1" will be installed so that opposing outlets will alternate. each outlet must flow ate LEAST 850 gph. SO does anyone KNOW what pump (a quiet pump) will easily achieve this, please??

again, you are going to need something 4000 or 5000 gph..maybe more. as for it being silent, there really isn't any such thing with that kind of gph.the reeflo barracuda had a definite hum to it. it wasn't horrible, but far from silent. i used a reeflo dart before that, which was pretty much silent, but i think that is too weak for your application.

OK, Doug, thanks. I look for a Barracuda. I LIKE that the dart you say is silent. They are too weak? what kind of flow do you think a dart would produce if I cut the outlets down to 3 instead of four? I appreciate you trying to help me out. Guess the problem is I have too big a tank!(but I LIKE that problem) I would rather invest in a GOOD strong pump then spend way more on pwerheads and a wavemaker system. PVC is cheap and easy to build and the new 1" scwd is ideal and uses no electricity. So spending a lot on a good pump is still way less expensive then powerheads, wavemaker and electricity.

Ran tank 3 years as FOWLER but have decided to convert to reef and flow is last area I have to address before buying corals.

Back
Top Bottom