Jager non-submergable heater, submerged in my tank-whoops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHawk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I looked at my Jager 200 watt heater the other day and it was completely under water. I unplugged it, took it out, examined it, etc. There was a little moisture around the top part where is shouldn't have be submerged.

Anyway, I'm not dead, so I guess that's a good thing.

Questions- I had a spare from my new tank that I popped into the old tank. Is all that gloom and doom on the instructions something to be worried about? Is this thing still usable? I gave it a break for a day or so and put it in the new tank.

I have an inline heater on order. On sale by the way at Petsolutions for $38.

I have a Jaeger 100 TS that is totally submersible.

Here in Canada, it is not allowed to totally submerse (TS) electrical items under water for liability issues, even if they are built just for that reason.

Therefore my question, are you really sure that your model is not submersible? What model is it excactly?

i have a jager 50 and it is not TS...right underneath the graduation for the temperature it has a line that says "do not immerse beyond water level"...but when i bought it saw that the lfs had the very same ones TS so...just in case mine is set according to the instructions...that is...NOT TS....

La vida es un tango, las solitarias mesetas en mi lejana patagonia y un mate con amigos.....

Life is a tango, the solitary plateaus in my distant Patagonia and a checkmate with friends.....

thats cool!

hahaha...that was pretty good...but mate is not checkmate...its some sort of green tea that u put in a wooden cup with a metal straw and u pour the hot water there and pass it around to share with friends...ur spanish os GOOD though...
:D

well, the thing is built to be not only around water, but actually partially in water. Thus, they will make thw whole thing water tight, even if it is not supposed to be submerged for long periods of time. A brief submersion should not be of concern. If there is no water or condensation inside the heater, like meredith says, then the integrity of the water seal is intact. Kind of like your wrist watch, yuo can tell when the seal is broken becuase water vapor will be seen on the inside of the crystal.

I've been using it over the past few days and it is working. I keep cringing when I stick my hand in the water, hoping not to be zapped :shocked!:

I have the inline on order because I'm the paranoid type. This one appears top be working fine, but you never know, it could come crashing down when you least expect it.

You guys would save a lot of time if you would search your topics before posting. This topic came up in the salt forum 2 months ago and in the freshwater forum before that.

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=43381&highlight=

If your heater or anything else in your aquarium shorted out it would "probably" blow a fuse or circuit breaker long before you put your hand in the tank.

Better yet!

If you go to HD they have a GFCI power strip made by Stanley. By the whole package, but don't use the power strip. It is not a Surge protector. Use a good surge protector (right next to it on the shelf - Belkin brand) with the GFCI adapter and be triple protected (GFCI. Surge Protector, fuse/circuit breaker) when the ebo blows!

Thanks, Phishead.

I've have tried the search function before but not in this case. I read the link. Pregnant wife here too! She just ignores my hobbies so that's not an issue. Just me that might get zapped!

I've got a HD a stones throw away. Thanks for the tip! :wink:

Menagerie-

Thanks a bunch. Next time I will search before posting. More than likely "nothing new under the sun".

That was such an old post, but the topic comes up from time to time that I bookmarked it to share with others :D
Searching for a certain Ebo topic is like looking for a needle in a hay stack :wink:

the only problem I have with search is that when you think you have found it and are wrong, you can't click back to the search results you just had, you have to run it over again. Am I right? It gets rather tedious.

when you think you have found it and are wrong, you can't click back to the search results you just had, you have to run it over again. Am I right? It gets rather tedious

I agree, and it would be nice to have an (and) function rather than entering two words and getting the (or) function.

After reading my previous post I am sorry if it had a poor underlying tone. :cry: Sharing on this forum is very rewarding for many people including myself. My wife is now 8 months pregnant and pretty miserable. I didn't have much patience last night. :twisted:

anyway, I hope that your problem is fixed, and I have a few questions about inline heaters.

If the power blinks does the water drain and the heater fry? or does it cool down pretty fast? If the pump fails, does the heater fry? I would hope they have temp gauges to shut them down. :?:

If the power blinks does the water drain and the heater fry? or does it cool down pretty fast? If the pump fails, does the heater fry? I would hope they have temp gauges to shut them down
If the power goes out, my canisters stop, and the water in the tubes would also be in the inline heater, so it would not be empty. The manual expressly warned about non-verticle postions allowing air bubbles to accumulate as being bad. I can't find the manual for it right now, but i remeber it being described not as heating coils, but ?inked on? heating circuits like in a car windsheild. So if the power goes out, it cools down fast. I have turned off the filters and the heaters at the same time many times, and turned off the filter while the heater was left plugged in on a few occasions, all with no problems. If I find the manual I bet it addresses these concerns. Newer submersible heaters can turn themselves off when not submerged, so I would think it possible an inline heater could be protected too.
I would think that if the water was stagnant in the tubes and the heater it would just turn off since the water would hit the target temp quickly.

Oh, and about the search thing, am I missing something with it? When I have done searches, like a hundred threads will come up as hits. I look over the titles, then pick one. Darn, it isn't what I wanted. then I hit the back button, and I don't get the page with the results of threads matching the search I was just looking at. I have to re-run the search exactly and start over. It makes searching for past info rather hard, and I was hoping there was another way. You can make the search only list threads with all your search words (instead of any of them), but if you get more than one hit you have the same dilema.

My wife is now 8 months pregnant and pretty miserable.

I feel your pain. Mine is 6 months with our 5th and feeling pretty uncomfortable. With all of them, she starts to snore latter in the pregnancy. I'm not getting much sleep lately and I'm cranky myself. :morning:

Glad I didn't have to answer that question on the inline. It's brand spankin new and sitting on my desk ready to install.

Have a good night! :)

Back
Top Bottom