Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2005, 01:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Jager non-submergable heater, submerged in my tank-whoops

I looked at my Jager 200 watt heater the other day and it was completely under water. I unplugged it, took it out, examined it, etc. There was a little moisture around the top part where is shouldn't have be submerged.

Anyway, I'm not dead, so I guess that's a good thing.

Questions- I had a spare from my new tank that I popped into the old tank. Is all that gloom and doom on the instructions something to be worried about? Is this thing still usable? I gave it a break for a day or so and put it in the new tank.

I have an inline heater on order. On sale by the way at Petsolutions for $38.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a Jaeger 100 TS that is totally submersible.

Here in Canada, it is not allowed to totally submerse (TS) electrical items under water for liability issues, even if they are built just for that reason.

Therefore my question, are you really sure that your model is not submersible? What model is it excactly?

Old 04-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a jager 50 and it is not TS...right underneath the graduation for the temperature it has a line that says "do not immerse beyond water level"...but when i bought it saw that the lfs had the very same ones TS so...just in case mine is set according to the instructions...that is...NOT TS....
4 lovely ottos
2 lady platies

5gal FW
dry

La vida es un tango, las solitarias mesetas en mi lejana patagonia y un mate con amigos.....
patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:53 PM   #4

La vida es un tango, las solitarias mesetas en mi lejana patagonia y un mate con amigos.....

Life is a tango, the solitary plateaus in my distant Patagonia and a checkmate with friends.....

thats cool!
Old 04-03-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it were me, and there is any moisture INside the glass, I would not use it.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

hahaha...that was pretty good...but mate is not checkmate...its some sort of green tea that u put in a wooden cup with a metal straw and u pour the hot water there and pass it around to share with friends...ur spanish os GOOD though...
4 lovely ottos
2 lady platies

5gal FW
dry

patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, the thing is built to be not only around water, but actually partially in water. Thus, they will make thw whole thing water tight, even if it is not supposed to be submerged for long periods of time. A brief submersion should not be of concern. If there is no water or condensation inside the heater, like meredith says, then the integrity of the water seal is intact. Kind of like your wrist watch, yuo can tell when the seal is broken becuase water vapor will be seen on the inside of the crystal.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've been using it over the past few days and it is working. I keep cringing when I stick my hand in the water, hoping not to be zapped

I have the inline on order because I'm the paranoid type. This one appears top be working fine, but you never know, it could come crashing down when you least expect it.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

You guys would save a lot of time if you would search your topics before posting. This topic came up in the salt forum 2 months ago and in the freshwater forum before that.

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic....381&highlight=

If your heater or anything else in your aquarium shorted out it would "probably" blow a fuse or circuit breaker long before you put your hand in the tank.

Better yet!

If you go to HD they have a GFCI power strip made by Stanley. By the whole package, but don't use the power strip. It is not a Surge protector. Use a good surge protector (right next to it on the shelf - Belkin brand) with the GFCI adapter and be triple protected (GFCI. Surge Protector, fuse/circuit breaker) when the ebo blows!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, Phishead.

I've have tried the search function before but not in this case. I read the link. Pregnant wife here too! She just ignores my hobbies so that's not an issue. Just me that might get zapped!

I've got a HD a stones throw away. Thanks for the tip!

Tags
eat, eater, heater, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com