JBJ UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gibbin94

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am thinking of purchasing a UV sterilizer for my tank and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the JBJ model?

I had one for years. Not that brand. I had the coralife turbo twist. Let me ask you a question. Why do you think you need one?

i have green tint to my water that is really bad, i can barely see my fish swimming around in the back... i was told by the owner of my lfs that a UV was the best way to fix it, along with less feedings

If you have an algea bloom then a UV will help. It will help to get rid of algea spores. I would consider the coralife turbo twist.

would it be better to by the coralife model or a JBJ which a freind is offering for 30$

Gibbin,

I was debating the very same thing and some research swayed me towards the Turbo Twist. Lots of people have mentioned that the housing of the JBJ Submariner tends to be not so waterproof. Water and electronics don't mix so well and, as a result, many people have mentioned that the JBJ unit tends to shock people when they stick their hands in the tank during maintenance. One person said that they got shocked even with a grounding rod! Also, in defense of the JBJ unit, people have applied aquarium-safe silicone sealant around the power cord and that seems to have lessened the shock delivered by the Submariner somewhat but not completely.

The JBJ units are normally $75 (5w) up to $105 (13w). No idea which one your friend wants to sell you.

I personally bought a 9W Turbo Twist but it's still on it's way so I cannot say how good it is yet other than most of the reviews for it have been very good.

I was thinking of getting a UV sterilizer aswell...is an algea problem the only reason to get one???or is it a good idea to have one just because / for preventive measures???

I ended up going with the JBJ and it is awesome! my water hes become noticeably clearer. the only thing that i wasn't ready for was the size of it. it is huge!

Back
Top Bottom