Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2015, 04:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Jebao rw-4 or rw-8 wavemaker

I'm needing some good sound advice from folks who run the jebao rw4/rw8. I've got a 75 gallon, 48.5×18.5×21.125, and I need a very slow gentle sway action in it. I don't actually need waves, just a gentle sway. I should be upgrading to a 150 gallon, 48×24×30, in the next few months. I've never heard of anyone doing these in a freshwater so that's why I'm asking in the marine section. Ya'll have the experience and apparently the fresh keepers don't. This is a central and south American dicus, angel, ram, tetra, and catfish tank. I can't be blowing those species all over the tank which is why I'm hear asking advice for which way I should go. Will the rw-4 be able to give me the gentle sway in the 75 and then upgrade to a 150? Or do I need to just get a rw-8? My wife will be changing the 75 to a reef once I get my 150 so I may just end up with both anyways.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 2 RW-15's in a 75 and it gives good flow but not to much. Corals are all happy. So if you want something that will give ample flow in the 75 then probable the RW-8. But I don't think they would be any good in the 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jebao rw-4 or rw-8 wavemaker

Go with 2 RW-8's if you'll be upgrading soon.

No reason not to.

Saying that, I tested my RW-4 on my 4ft 63G African tank, I'd say it reached about halfway across the tank at 100% power.

I'm sure two of them would be fine.

But I'd not want to strain the pump too much by keeping them on 100%.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you fellers. From what ya'll be saying, sounds like I need to go with the rw8, and determine where is should go up or down from there. I'm just in want that gentle sway but I also need to keep the crud stirred into the water column so it doesn't settle on the gravel. Want it to get pulled into the filters. I'm ocd about getting all of the crud out of the gravel when I vacuum and it is darn near impossible. Want as much going through those pads as possible.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole scratch View Post
Thank you fellers. From what ya'll be saying, sounds like I need to go with the rw8, and determine where is should go up or down from there. I'm just in want that gentle sway but I also need to keep the crud stirred into the water column so it doesn't settle on the gravel. Want it to get pulled into the filters. I'm ocd about getting all of the crud out of the gravel when I vacuum and it is darn near impossible. Want as much going through those pads as possible.

Then two RW-8's is what you want.

Your poor lil fishies won't know what hit em!

Old 02-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just got to make sure the flow and sway isn't too much for the discus and angels. It it's to much for them, I know it will kill the rams and tetras.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Went with the rw-8. Put it in, set the cycle I wanted, and let her rip. It is just the right wave for my fish. It is powerful enough to circulate the water without beating my fish to death. Once I plugged it in it took only a few seconds for all the crud I haven't been able to reach with the vacuum to become suspended in that water column. Within 4 hours it had all been mostly pulled in by the filters. I changed 1 filter cartridge in each filter and left the other cartridges alone. Nitrites, and nitrates also went down and have been slower about rising. I've never had a problem with ammonia and very little nitrite. That 1 rw-8 won't be enough for 75 gallon reef, that I can tell you. I'd say a minimum of 1 rw-15 and positioning is very important. Where I started with the 8 was pretty decent but I moved it down an inch and moved it over about 3 inches. Made a big difference for sure.

Tags
wavemaker

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com