Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Starbucks coffee sucks, plus it's high priced. We are talking about starbucks coffee in a generic container sold cheaper, and the ad states "tastes just like starbucks!".
To take what I said about this pump with a grain of salt would be quite foolish, since I stated nothing but facts.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lloydxmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 320
Sorry I'm not here to start fights I'm just trying to get into the hobby.....
__________________

__________________
Lloydxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lloydxmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 320
Mr X. What would you recommend for a 75 gal corner flow? Money is tight because I am towards the end of the buying guarantee equipment process.
__________________
Lloydxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
although I must admit that only time will tell how these WP40s hold up, I don't understand why people feel that they must bash them because of whatever stupid reasons they may have. point is its a $80-$90 powerhead that can match a $450 powerheads flow, and also offers quite a few of the same wave options. really the only thing the Jabeos cant do at this point is wirelessly communicate, which I believe Jabeo is looking into at this moment. I don't see how someone can spend hundreds of dollars on a powerhead that has a fixed angle, I don't care how wide its flow pattern is. I also am not stupid, I know that the company had to cut corners and make sacrifices to keep the price low, but who cares. I don't expect my wp40 to last 5,6,7 years. also I do believe there are bearings on the dry side of the Vortechs that when they need replaced, are quite expensive. all in all, even if I have to buy a new wp40 every year, I think it works out in my favor as opposed to buying a vortech
__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydxmas View Post
Mr X. What would you recommend for a 75 gal corner flow? Money is tight because I am towards the end of the buying guarantee equipment process.
There are a few decent units that have been on the market for some time and are known from many people's experience to last.
A very common one is the Hydor Koralia.
Another I like is the Aqueon power head.
Seio prop pumps also last.




Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
although I must admit that only time will tell how these WP40s hold up, I don't understand why people feel that they must bash them because of whatever stupid reasons they may have. point is its a $80-$90 powerhead that can match a $450 powerheads flow, and also offers quite a few of the same wave options. really the only thing the Jabeos cant do at this point is wirelessly communicate, which I believe Jabeo is looking into at this moment. I don't see how someone can spend hundreds of dollars on a powerhead that has a fixed angle, I don't care how wide its flow pattern is. I also am not stupid, I know that the company had to cut corners and make sacrifices to keep the price low, but who cares. I don't expect my wp40 to last 5,6,7 years. also I do believe there are bearings on the dry side of the Vortechs that when they need replaced, are quite expensive. all in all, even if I have to buy a new wp40 every year, I think it works out in my favor as opposed to buying a vortech
Stupid reasons? Like crapping out after just a few months? I don't understand why people who have no experience with a new product seem to stand up for it like they built the freaken thing themselves.
Buy one every year for the next 10 years, I don't care. I'm just telling you they can and do quit quite prematurely and have no warranty to speak of.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lloydxmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
There are a few decent units that have been on the market for some time and are known from many people's experience to last.
A very common one is the Hydor Koralia.
Another I like is the Aqueon power head.
Seio prop pumps also last.

Stupid reasons? Like crapping out after just a few months? I don't understand why people who have no experience with a new product seem to stand up for it like they built the freaken thing themselves.
Buy one every year for the next 10 years, I don't care. I'm just telling you they can and do quit quite prematurely and have no warranty to speak of.
What size Hydors and how many?
__________________
Lloydxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Well, what are you planning to keep in your tank? If it's sps, I would consider at least 2 x 1500gph or better.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lloydxmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Well, what are you planning to keep in your tank? If it's sps, I would consider at least 2 x 1500gph or better.
Well I will put it to you this way. I don't wanna have to worry about upgrading. I want to be able to keep whatever. It's a 75 gal tank. Thoughts?
__________________
Lloydxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That will be 40x turnover without your return pump, so I think that will be plenty.
Hydor Koralia Evolution - Bulk Reef Supply
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lloydxmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
That will be 40x turnover without your return pump, so I think that will be plenty.
Hydor Koralia Evolution - Bulk Reef Supply
Is it OK for them to run 24/7 in the tank? The fish and corals won't mind that? And do they work with any controllers or do I have to unplug them at feeding time?
__________________

__________________
Lloydxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.