Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks, a little noise is fine and the cabinet I would store it in would muffle quite a bit of it. If I end up having to replace my cannister I'll probably give it a shot.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can purchase the CSF4(828) at Aquatraders.com on sale right now for $49.99 or at superfishstore.com for $61.16. I bought mine from the latter for $59.99 and must add that it is kept outside the cabinet.With excellent hearing you cannot hear this filter at all. If you experience bubbling noises,the filter is not purged properly.After maintenance,make sure filter is filled at least 3/4 with water before priming.You should not even be able to hear motor hum. I've heard Eheims -- Jebo is not at all noisier.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:07 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

greenmagi: Thanks for your interest. unfortunately, I have not owned a current model Fluval or XP3 filter, so I can not really give an honest comparison. IMO the Jebo 828/Odyssey filter is pretty darn good for the money. As I stated earlier, the flow rate seems about the same as my 2217 and the fittings and hose are very comparable. It also primes very easily, it has a pump button on the top like the Eheim Professional II series. I filled my canister with water and primed the pump wtih a few pushes and plugged it in and away she went . The Jebo seems noisy compared to my 2217, but I'm guessing that its comparable to a Fluval or XP3. I'm basing this on what I've read from other posts about these brands of filters. I don't know what the longevity of this filter may be, I haven't
seen any posts on that. I purchased mine on Ebay from www.thefishfactorywi.com.
I think their price is now under $50. The best feature of this filter, IMO, are media baskets. You don't need to have mesh bags etc. The instructions that accompany the filter lose a bit in the Chinese translation but its nothing that you can't really figure out. I'd buy one again. At this price you can afford to replace it every 2-3 years. Hope this helps somebody out there. Please feel free to post any questions you might have. caribou
Old 07-30-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
caribou... do you know anyone that has the current fluval or XPx line filters? it would be usefull if you just knew how loud they are for a comparison. if not.. thats cool..
Old 07-31-2005, 01:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I've got pretty good hearing and I can't hear the new jebo unless I'm standing next to the tank. Chris was complaining about my quietest air pump that was sitting behind the stand as well as the hob filters. It wasn't even the splash just the filters running kinda bothered him but he said he doesn't even notice the jebo while using his desktop. The room is only about 10' wide. It's definitely quieter than a computer or laptop fan.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
aqh88.. the noise differences are very subtle in some cases.. the ehiem sounds like its unpluged if that gives you the extream difference these can have.. (some people have tanks in there bedroom btw. I would be on that list )
Old 07-31-2005, 01:57 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I Had spoken to many Jebo owners before I made my purchase as well as researching every cannister on the market. At first I was a bit skeptical about a filter that costs 1/4 the price of "The cadillac of filters(Eheim). I was assured by many this filter was indeed an excellent filter for the cost.With all the latest features of the Pro 2, I was willing to take a chance. After about a year now,I can say they were right. My Jebo 828 is very quiet. Some people sleep with window or wall A/C's .Those that don't would still appreciate it's quiet running even in a bedroom. Some complaints(not mine),are connectors that don't swivel and hoses that kink. My intake and return hoses are perfect.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:07 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's definitely quieter than the fan in the bedroom. If you can't sleep with even the slightest noise then maybe the jebo might be too loud but the only thing quieter is probably the eheim. It's even quieter than the 2 penguin powerfilters I had running on the 55 in the bedroom. Again I don't mean the water falling noise. I mean the actual noise of the moving parts. There are fluvals set up and running at the lfs and I think they are slightly louder but there's always noise there because they also sell parrots so it's hard to say. Today I had to open the stand to make sure my filter was still running.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi, found this old thread and thought you might like a current update...

I have 5 of the Jebo 4 stage (basket) canisters and 2 of the 5 stage on my various tanks. I love them and have had no problems with the exception of having to replace 1 of the quick disconnect valves. The 5 stage are the newest and have been on for a little over eighteen months. They are very quiet and perform as well as or better than my XP filstars for around 1/2 the price, (better deals can be found if you are patient). As too how quiet they are..... they make less noise than my quietest air pump hum and the Iwaki pump under the big tank sounds "industrial" next to it. The oldest one will make some noise occasionally, but I have found that it is a bubble that causes cavitation on the impeller, usually from air going up the intake tube, as my fish like to dig up the bubbler. Pushing the prime thingy, while running, flushes the air.
Flow rates are about the same as the XP's after they cycle for a while and get the bio going inside.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Critterlover; Is that the CFS4 you have that has 5 stages? My 828 has 4 stages and wouldn't even consider another brand of cannister because of the excellent performance and value. I've had the filter outside of the cabinet and it was much quieter than my Rena 200 air pump.

Tags
cannister, filter, jebo

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com