jebo R331

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redders83

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi all,

im using a Jebo R331 tank.

it is a 20l tank with in-water pump and the suction will come from a piece of "waterbed" thingy...

question is im covering this "waterbed" thing with sand and gravel at the moment, therefore only water gets sucked by the pump, no dirt/sh*t gets sucked. is this meant to be the way the tank works? or i should not put sand/gravel at all?

sorry for the terminologies i used as im a newbie.. :>

anyway, i drafted a picture of how my tank looks like.. hope it helps...
thanks in advance...

Attachments

• tank_801.jpg
    tank_801.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 887
  • tank_172.jpg
    tank_172.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,569
FYI, filters perform various tasks like mechanical, biological and chemical filtration. Quick definition of each:
mech - particle matter, biological - nitrogen breakdown by-products, chemical - dissolved substances.

From your diagram, you filtration system looks like a morph between a UGF and a power filter. In which case, I wouldn't really recommend a sand substrate. For this situation, I would be relying on the tank filter for biological and partial mech filt, and you (when doing PWC), to have a grav vac to get rid of the wastes.

thanks scarf for the quick introduction.. :)

im actually using gravel instead of sand but in any case, the waste still does not get cleared by the filter... think i will have to remove the waste manually when doing PWC...

btw, im also given a pack of small hollow ceramic cylinders...
may i know what is that used for? currently im just putting half in the gravel and half in the filter..

Removing the waste manually with a gravel vaccum is generally the way to go :)

And the small hollow ceramic cylinders is just a way to hold the beneficial bacteria for biological filtration. I'm pretty sure they're designed so you can hold more bacteria than say, eg, a lump of gravel of same volume.

good work..! everything you're doing is correct 8)

The cylinders are Ceramic Rings. They are used in Canister filters or some hob's as filter media. They can hold a TON more bacteria than Carbon. I don't know why they would be used in the gravel though. I've never heard of that.

If you can disconnect the UGF, do it. It is a Nitrate haven and is not as effective as a good hob. I had them in my 10 and 29 gal tanks and will never put a UGF in a tank ever again. Waste will get pulled into the gravel and sit under the plates causing buildup. When you go to remove it, your water will be VERY nasty.

The filters generally don't pick up waste. That is something that has to be done with the pwc. This is a bit trickier to do with an ugf than without one.

HTH and WELCOME TO AA REDDERS83!

thanks for the advice... :D
but im afraid i cant disconnect the UGF, it's sort of part of the tank...
if u have seen how the jebo r331 looks like then u would know...

i have seen the wastes get sucked into the gravel... which is why i posted this thread... somehow the UGF system is not working well.. but if i remove the gravel then the tank will look weird.. hehe..

guess it all boils down to me not doing enuff research before settling on a tank.. hehe.. :lol:

perhaps i can find alternatives.. hmm... let me see what i can do... :idea:

thanks again guys, you all have been a great help.. :mrgreen:

Actually, thinking about the design of the filter, I'm thinking what the tank setup is attempting to do, theoretically, is to suck wastes thru down the UGF, pump it up to the top of the tank, and deposit the wastes in the filter. Practically, I don't know how successful that idea would be, if it was the intended purpose of that design.

Fishyfanatic said:
The cylinders are Ceramic Rings. They are used in Canister filters or some hob's as filter media. They can hold a TON more bacteria than Carbon. I don't know why they would be used in the gravel though. I've never heard of that.

I have seen some breeders use ceramic rings with or as a replacement to gravel. I suppose it would be to hold benefitial bacteria, and provide limited additional biological filtration

Back
Top Bottom