Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Juddering/vibrating magnetic cleaners?

Hi all!
So I have two brands of magnetic cleaner, one is a magfloat and the other I think Is Marina or just store brand.
It sounds stupid as hell, but I have no idea if I'm using them right!

Both of my magnetic cleaners judder along the glass. It's awful. Its loud and rattles the tank and I'm sure it scares the daylights out of my fish - I certainly don't like it and I'm not the one in the tank!

Is there a way I can stop this from happening? Am I using them too fast, too slow? I know I'm using them the right ways around at least
__________________

__________________
SquishyPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ZxC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: London, ON
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyPenguin View Post
Hi all!
So I have two brands of magnetic cleaner, one is a magfloat and the other I think Is Marina or just store brand.
It sounds stupid as hell, but I have no idea if I'm using them right!

Both of my magnetic cleaners judder along the glass. It's awful. Its loud and rattles the tank and I'm sure it scares the daylights out of my fish - I certainly don't like it and I'm not the one in the tank!

Is there a way I can stop this from happening? Am I using them too fast, too slow? I know I'm using them the right ways around at least
That's just how they work at least everyone I've owned did that.

I tossed all mine in the trash, all the ever do it pick up the smallest piece of gravel/sand without you knowing it and then blablamo! you leave a knarly scratch across the front of your tank, taunting you every time you look. Just my experience anyway.
__________________

__________________
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jeffruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 271
100% of the time mine does this to. Maybe its how they are designed so that it 'scrubs' the algae off...

And yes went they pick up gravel it sucks!

Only way I can get it to work without bouncing around is if I use a circular motion.
__________________
FW 90gal w/ 20gal sump
Current Stock - 14 Columbia Tetra/11 Serpae Tetra/16 Prisella Tetra/6 Yoyo Loach/1 Red Tail Shark/10 Giant Danio /2 Lazer Corys/6 Bolivian Rams/4 Otocinculus /6 Borneo Suckers/ 1 Albino Bushy Nose Pleco/ Flame Moss / Moneywort / Vallesaris / Java Fern...
jeffruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffruth View Post
100% of the time mine does this to. Maybe its how they are designed so that it 'scrubs' the algae off...

And yes went they pick up gravel it sucks!

Only way I can get it to work without bouncing around is if I use a circular motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
That's just how they work at least everyone I've owned did that.

I tossed all mine in the trash, all the ever do it pick up the smallest piece of gravel/sand without you knowing it and then blablamo! you leave a knarly scratch across the front of your tank, taunting you every time you look. Just my experience anyway.
Boy what a huge inconvenience! I'd rather get my hands wet than freak out my fish or scratch up my glass :/ I do have one thats not magnetic hanging around so I might switch to that..thanks guys!
__________________
SquishyPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Fresh2o's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 12,728
I try to do a circular motion whenever possible. I try to not let the algae sit there too long otherwise it is almost impossible to remove.
I stay away from the substrate though for the reasons mentioned above. In that case, I use an old credit card to scape at and below the substrate line.
__________________
I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Macro Addict
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,807
they make different magnet floats for different glass thicknesses are you sure you got the right one , the cheap no name floats you find at wally world are useless.
__________________

__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clean, cleaner, vibrating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marineland Filters Vibrating Cornstar General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 8 01-29-2012 05:48 PM
Molly shiverinh/vibrating ocminpin Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 0 11-22-2011 03:03 AM
Vibrating fish.. Is this normal? hanahandbluey Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 1 10-27-2011 10:44 PM
Why is my astreas snail vibrating against the glass? litebrite Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 8 11-11-2009 02:31 PM
Magnetic algea cleaners ReefRaff Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 16 07-17-2004 06:46 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.