Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Jumper lid. The answer?

**clear** mesh top - Michigan Reefers

Anyone know anything about these nylon like screens for those expensive jumpers from their SW tanks? Just bought a beauty of a wrasse yesterday. And well..... you know.

Even better. Know where I can get the screen material?

Wonder how the construction with a bow front would do.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Bye Bye flasher wrasse. I shoulda known better. Didn't even have the canopy on. It was in the 2ft raised postition. Jumped right out the front. Landed 3-4 ft in front of the tank. Right where the canopy shoulda, woulda been.:butt:

I gotta find a way to get something so I can have wrasses!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flasher wrasse.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	17639  

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FastFly67
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Bye Bye flasher wrasse. I shoulda known better. Didn't even have the canopy on. It was in the 2ft raised postition. Jumped right out the front. Landed 3-4 ft in front of the tank. Right where the canopy shoulda, woulda been.:butt:

I gotta find a way to get something so I can have wrasses!
i use the hard white plastic 'egg crate' found in the lighting section at home depot. dunno how it effects lighting though. i've only got in on two tanks (neither are planted) but i do know that it works well even when the my fish tries to "high five" my koi
Old 03-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Sliced Bread

That fast?

Aww man, I'm bummed for you.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry Ray. I`ve heard good things about those mesh tops. I was thinking of getting one when I had my eel tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Never liked the shadows from the eggcrate from the metal halides.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

To flind the mesh try to check out a hardware store or feed store. I don't know if it is as light as the stuff we use to use for outdoor rabbit hutches. The bow can be made by adding some plexi to the the front of the straight flat screen or make a cuts around like fitting a gore around a pipe. Cut little V's out and carefully bend it to fit. It could be done with a pair of nips or aviators. Do a mock up with something like poster board or light weight cardboard first to see how big the V's have to be and the spacing.

Print out the page on how to do it and take it with you one of the stores mght know where to find it. They might have a better idea of how to do the bow front too.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Look in my sig
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Ordered the 1/2" UV mesh from Industrial Netting out of Minneapolis. Minimum order is 14x50 feet for $80. Should have it by this weekend.

Lurking around Lowes this past weekend, I decided to try to work with quarter round made of PVC. Hoping to sandwich the netting between 2 pieces of quarter round. It bends nicely for the bow tank. Still working on the design, but I likely won't have 3 sections that completely cover the tank from front to rear.

Thinking about filling both sides with as complete a construction as possible, considering the overflow boxes on each side. For the middle section, maybe making a rectangular piece from the rear to a bit farther than the middle. Then constructing a smaller piece that lays over it and covers the bowed section. Since I got a canopy, the construction fitting has to be good enuf to sit in the recessed part of the tank trim along the top. The 2 pieces in the middle section would allow me to reach down into the canopy to remove the front piece in order to feed.

Maybe I'm thinking too much right now.

Oh yeah, used pvc glue to try to connect two pieces of the quarter round. Works like a charm!!!!

Of course, I'll take pics when I get started.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have an acrylic tank with two openings and a center brace, that deters most jumpers but I also have two acrylic panels that I can put over the openings if need be.

90 gallon FOWLR 45gallong sump with Oceanic #6 skimmer. Iwaki return pump. Koralia 4 and two 300 gph powerheads.
kgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com